Got a Commodore 386SX-25 - some Pictures

edited October 2018 in Hardware

Today I got something real nice for my collection :)
It seems like this particular model and the whole series is quite rare (they do exist also in 16Mhz and DX variants).
Also most of them have an AVGA2 video chip, while mine has a CL-GD5402 - which is the same chip, after Cirrus Logic has bought Acumos. Looks like this GD5402 is a very early one.

Specs:
386SX-25MHz
6MB RAM (4MB was original)
42MB Conner CP3000 HDD
1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
Cirrus Logic GD-5402 VGA (512k video RAM)
5x ISA slots (all free, everything is onboard)

I have a few ISA soundcards here, one of them will go into this machine: SB Vibra 16, AD1848, ESS688.
Also I am still missing an ISA ethernet card, once I get one, it will also go there.
An additional IDE controller + HDD + CDROM also goes in there.

I didn't get any floppies or documentation along with it and I didn't inspect the hard disk by now. As soon as I did it and found something interesting, I will share.

Right now I am experimenting with (more or less) recent linux on this machine. A 2.6 kernel boots and load a busybox shell right now.

Comments

• edited October 2018

Now I finally found a keyboard in my mess and got into BIOS and more.

Here's a picture of BIOS Setup (Award 4.20)

Turbo Button makes a big difference:
    Video:

Dr. Sbaitso fails when talking rude to him:
    Video:

The Pacman Clone "pakupaku" seem to have some graphics problems, but still works and is playable.
    Video:

• Nice little machine. I remember using this exact model in my school days, although that was the 16MHz variant.

I would take out that Varta battery ASAP though as it has clearly been leaking for a while so it is just a matter of time before the corrosion eats through a trace or via on the motherboard.

• @demolition said:
    Nice little machine. I remember using this exact model in my school days, although that was the 16MHz variant.

I would take out that Varta battery ASAP though as it has clearly been leaking for a while so it is just a matter of time before the corrosion eats through a trace or via on the motherboard.

This was the first I did after taking pictures. Cleaned the traces, removed battery, sealed with transparent spray-color.
    We'll see if I cleaned everything or not, when the color breaks or not.