[Request] - WD800BB-75JHC0 IDE Drivers

Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone had the driver above? I need it to install XP on a spare system, as my IDE Drive doesnt get picked up by the XP Installation.

Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• Um, IDE drives don't need drivers, if its not being recognized there is something wrong with the hard drive. Maybe the IDE controller needs a custom driver?

• @michaelweaser said:
    Um, IDE drives don't need drivers, if its not being recognized there is something wrong with the hard drive. Maybe the IDE controller needs a custom driver?

Didnt mean to make this post a cry for help, but i am having problems installing windows xp, (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE) They were working fine before i attempted to reinstall windows xp, it would mean so much to me if.. maybe we could speak in PMs and if you could try and help me?

• There are ISOs around on the internet for Windows XP, named something like "XP SP3 with SATA drivers". These are the most recent XP discs with drivers available. Most likely they are not original MS-ISOs, but with these I had luck a few times on special or newer hardware (compared to XP's age).

• edited October 2018

@sdose said:
    There are ISOs around on the internet for Windows XP, named something like "XP SP3 with SATA drivers". These are the most recent XP discs with drivers available. Most likely they are not original MS-ISOs, but with these I had luck a few times on special or newer hardware (compared to XP's age).

I've tried multiple installs with all these type of isos, never works. Thanks for trying to help though.. :)

• What is the Model number of your mainboard? Maybe we'll find drivers.

The controller maybe needs a driver, the drive itself not.

• @sdose said:
    What is the Model number of your mainboard? Maybe we'll find drivers.

The controller maybe needs a driver, the drive itself not.

Main board as in motherboard? Dude, you'd forever be remembered if you can help me with this, i have dedicated days trying to fix this. The computer is a dimension 3000, let me see if i can find some information.

https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-dimension-3000-home/specs/

Anything there that helps?

• edited October 2018

It uses a i865 - a quite old and well known chipset. The problem is NOT about missing drivers in XP media.

A few hints I can give:

Are you somehow familiar with Linux-Live CDs? Try booting one of these and look out if the hard disk is recognized. If no drive shows up in file manager, open console, get root (important! something like "sudo su" command) and use fdisk with "fdisk -l" to list all drives.
    If nothing shows up, something is very odd.
    If you want to try this, I suggest knoppix or kanotix as they are very good, full blown, allround live CDs.

Try resetting bios setup to defaults (jumper onboard+battery out AND/OR use menu entry "reset to defaults" in bios).

Jumper on harddisk? Master or Single?

CD drive on same cable as HDD? If so, change this for test.

• I'll use gparted, since this is disk specific, and see if it shows up.

After this i will then resetting the bios to default.

I'll refer to the other information also.

Would it help if i said i am trying to install from USB? i have a CD Drive avaliable.

• USB should not matter, at least for gparted.

Maybe XP gets confused somehow. It was not made for USB install, this is "a hack".
    I would give it a try and burn a XP CD and try installing from CD.

• edited October 2018

Okay. Little update.

Installed Gparted onto usb. GUI wouldnt load so i went into command line and typed sudo fdisk -l, it shows.

"/dev/sda1 Boot * Size 71.5G Type HPFS/NTFS/exFAT."

Now to try and find a cd to write too. I doubt i'll have one large enough.. :/

Damn did i get lucky. One singular disc large enough (actually too large) but i need to make sure its a good burn, iso recommendation? The SATA one?

• fdisk shows this disk, so your hardware setup should be ok.

Yes, I would use this ISO.

• @sdose said:
    fdisk shows this disk, so your hardware setup should be ok.

Yes, I would use this ISO.

That ISO doesnt specifiy what bit it is intended for. This computer previously had a copy of windows XP 32-bit. Suggestions?

• Of coure a 32bit. I don't think the Celeron D in your system is a 64bit. Also 64bit XP is very uncommon, most XPs are 32bit.

• Boy am i tilted (annoyed) but happy at the same time.

You might even be suprised to know, it works perfectly of a IDE CD-ROM Install.

USB Install must have trouble finding the required hardware, or the IDE CD-ROM Is linked to the HDD like you said through the one cable and so it is able to find it using that method.

Thank you! God i am happy. Sometimes starting with the basic is the way to go.