Opening .7z_ files

Okay guys and gals... what am I doing wrong here? I have downloaded several files, all of which come in with the .7z_ extension. Assuming these files to be 7-Zip archives with a place holder in the extension, I have renamed them to .7z and then attempted to open the archives, only to receive the same error message in each case stating that the files could not be opened as archives. I have used WinZip ands 7-Zip with the same results. I am not a noob by any means, and have been around these systems since the old OS'es archived here were in common use. This one has got me stumped. Anyone here who can steer me right?

Comments

• Which version of 7-zip are you using? I am using 7-zip 18.04 under Windows 7 x64 (and previously Windows 10 x64) and never had any issues opening WinWorld archives with the .7z_ extension.

I am aware that some older versions of 7-zip, such as 9.20, were much pickier when it came to opening archives.

• I am using v18.05 on Windows 10 x64...

• BTW -- the 7-Zip is also the x64 version.

• edited November 2018

Which files in particular?

edit: oddly enough, since switching back to win7 with Pale Moon from win10 and Microsoft Edge, I don't get any .7z_ extensions anymore. Could the three-digit extension be something that Edge tacks onto every download?

• OK -- it seems that I can get some of these archives to extract using a 32-bit version of 7-zip. I will post with more info as I figure things out...

• That's the ticket... using a 32-bit version of 7-Zip has solved the problem completely. It seems that I can extract the archives that way with no difficulty at all. As to the underscore placeholder, I suspect that you are correct about it being an Edge thing, as files DL'd via Chrome do not have the placeholder.

• @cpprioli said:
    That's the ticket... using a 32-bit version of 7-Zip has solved the problem completely. It seems that I can extract the archives that way with no difficulty at all. As to the underscore placeholder, I suspect that you are correct about it being an Edge thing, as files DL'd via Chrome do not have the placeholder.

I suspect this behaviour being a bug in 7zip. If someone offers same software in 2 editions (32+64bit) the file should be interchangeable without any problems.

Can you reproduce this behaviour? E.g. compress a picture with 7z 64, try uncompress with 7z 32 and vice versa. If you're able to reproduce it is definitely worth a bug report to 7z team.