Make Version of The Winworldpc Site Vintage PC Freindly Petition\forum

Has anyone ever had this issue , you are installing windows 3.1 , 98 , 95 , Os/2 or even some kind of Unix? and everything works you have all your drivers installed , your ethernet is up and going , sound and video card works fine , But now you want some software for this computer right ?. so why not vote to make winworldpc accessible to make a separate version of winworldpc a version that is designed for the very computers it supports. (vintage pcs) thank you for those who support

Comments

• I know that for Macintosh Repository, it will know that you're using an older Mac to access it and it would kindly turn off SSL for you. Maybe this can be done for this place too? That would be beneficial, but let's see what others have to say first.

• edited November 2018

Agree. The new site is really useless, what's the point of a vintage software archive if you can't access it on the older hardware that needs it? That's like a drive through with stairs

• i am not saying that we should scrap this site , i am only suggesting for an alternate verison of the site , a simpler look for a the look of the 90s so it can be used with old browsers (mosaic , netscape , ie 1.0-6.0 ect

• edited November 2018

As nice as this would be, I don't really think it's feasible. Old hardware has very slow download speeds and typically small hard drives. Even if the site worked well on them, they'd be limited by their own hardware. Restructuring an entire website to run well on insecure hardware is no small task and brings about many problems. It's much easier to say than it is to do, and would be a substantial rework of a website that was just redone.

Deciding a cut off for how much old hardware to support is another problem. Will my 8088 IBM 5150 be able to access it? Why or why not? It's much faster and easier to transfer the software after downloading it on a modern computer rather than supporting a huge variety of old machines, and while it's a nice thought, it's not really practical if you consider how much work would go into it, especially for a site most people use for free without contributing money towards running and development.

• well no im just asking for a more basic option , i understand DOS will nto be able to get to it , but a win 9x pc will be capable
    look up the site space jam , its a site that hasnt been improved in years , all im asking is for a seperate link that just allows for simple downloads not to revamp the whole site

• like gmail . how u can tell it to use the basic format
    instead of the gui format

• edited November 2018

Even if you set a hard cut off on the OS as 9X, there's a myriad amount of web browsers, each with various compatibility, and if you make an extremely simple site, at that point, it's basically just an FTP server, which would probably be a much better option anyways.

My main point is not that it is not possible, but that it would be a large amount of time put into it for a very small fraction of people who would actually use it on old hardware as most people would prefer a quicker download speed on modern hardware and then transferring it over physical media, and therefore, isn't really worth the development time it would require, not to mention the security issues.

• so thats fine an ftp site would work tho
    right

• as long as an old pc can get to it

• There used to be a dedicated retro-friendly version of WinWorld which had access to the library section only IIRC. However, this was from before the site got redesigned, so it most likely no longer works.

If the admins decide to bring this feature back, I suppose it could be useful to those who have Windows 9x systems set up for occasional internet browsing as the files here are in 7z format and 7-zip 9.20 works on Windows versions all the way back to Windows 95 and NT 3.51. Since 7-zip doesn't have ports for Windows 3.x and Classic Mac OS (IIRC), this would be of little use for those two platforms. 7-zip might have an MS-DOS port that 16-bit Windows users could use, but IDK for certain.

• anyone who supports this idea please say so in caps

• oh and btw dos and windows still have winzip they can use its compatible

• edited November 2018

@atarist80 said:
    Even if you set a hard cut off on the OS as 9X, there's a myriad amount of web browsers, each with various compatibility, and if you make an extremely simple site, at that point, it's basically just an FTP server, which would probably be a much better option anyways.

My main point is not that it is not possible, but that it would be a large amount of time put into it for a very small fraction of people who would actually use it on old hardware as most people would prefer a quicker download speed on modern hardware and then transferring it over physical media, and therefore, isn't really worth the development time it would require, not to mention the security issues.

You are being too pessimistic. Maybe it might have security issues, but be realistic for a moment and think, how many hackers are interested in hacking your old Packard Bell 486? Really there's no point for them to waste their time in old hardware which will only affect you, rather than focusing on hacking Windows 7 so it will affect a significant amount of users

If you make it too simple it might be better to just use FTP, but at least do you know the level of HTML required for a page to render in IE 3? It's a decent level of HTML that may support a reduced WinWorld with a nice layout, and that would be better than using commands to, say transfer files from FTP to Win3.x using commands (I know there are graphical FTP clients, but usually a browser in any OS is more useful than an FTP client)

And it wouldn't be a hard job, and may actually worth it. It's just taking the CMS adventure and making a HTML Mosaic compatible page around Adventure, and so reusing the current CMS, and just taking some effort.

• i agree with sistermayayoxp

• Mr me4348921, please review our rules about short posts and making rapid multiple posts. You (not "u") sound like one of those retarded Twitter users.

Believe me, I would love to see more backwards compatibility. With some CSS hacks I just get around here using Seamonkey 1.1 on Windows 95. I'm just glad Winworld's HTTPs isn't mindlessly set to force only the absolute latest encryption method of the day.

There is also the issue that the Winworld archives are packaged for systems with long file names and large hard drives. There is a GUI and CLI 7Zip that works on 95, but any earlier OSes would have a hard time.

But nobody in charge here currently has time to mess with the design themselves. And I'm not even sure this forum software could be fully themed for that purpose.

• Ok thank you for the information