Windows Longhorn Post-Reset

edited April 2018 in Product Comments

Windows Longhorn Post-Reset

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• It is worth noting these betas won't work without ACPI. Yes, I tried getting it on PCem, the result wasn't pretty (I kept getting RSoDs and boot errors).

• Yas! I installed this on VirtualBox using GParted live CD. Idk pretty much about AHCI, SATA, IDE, etc.. But maybe try to format your partition or drive on GParted, because on setup it wouldn't let me install on drive cuz it's unsupported type disk, idk why, but I couldn't format in setup. WTF?

• @BF10 said:
    It is worth noting these betas won't work without ACPI. Yes, I tried getting it on PCem, the result wasn't pretty (I kept getting RSoDs and boot errors).

You mean this?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

• @RichardProgrammer1 said:

@BF10 said:
    It is worth noting these betas won't work without ACPI. Yes, I tried getting it on PCem, the result wasn't pretty (I kept getting RSoDs and boot errors).

You mean this?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

That. It installs on QEMU since it does have BIOS that supports ACPI.

• edited June 2018

@BF10 said:

@RichardProgrammer1 said:

@BF10 said:

Well, I installed this on VMware, Virtualbox, and on my old Dell laptop successfully. But, when installing VMware tools it's giving me BSOD, I think it's because of RAM. But RAM is 1 GB. But on Virtualbox is another problem with guest additions. Guest additions is not supported on Longhorn?! I think the answer is no. But on Dell it's running smoothly and without problems. But there is some kind of problem with network. I think that's why it's called "beta"...

• @RichardProgrammer1 said:

@BF10 said:

@RichardProgrammer1 said:

@BF10 said:

Well, I installed this on VMware, Virtualbox, and on my old Dell laptop successfully. But, when installing VMware tools it's giving me BSOD, I think it's because of RAM. But RAM is 1 GB. But on Virtualbox is another problem with guest additions. Guest additions is not supported on Longhorn?! I think the answer is no. But on Dell it's running smoothly and without problems. But there is some kind of problem with network. I think that's why it's called "beta"...

Yes, it is best run on emulated hardware and not on visualizers like VMware or VirtualBox. If VMware Tools is not installing, then your configuration is likely incorrect or nearly incompatible for these builds.

• @BF10 said:

Make sure to use VMware or VirtualBox. Those two work.

• 5259 has no Vista Theme.

• edited November 2018

5840 installed nicely on Virtualbox with Guest Additions.

• @jonirob said:

Lucky for you! Build 5384 dosen't install Guest Additions!

• @AlexThe444thMaker said:

@jonirob said:

That's because it isn't close enough to Windows Vista or XP at that point for Guest Additions to work properly. I tried to install Guest Additions on post-reset and I mostly end up with BSOD or setup aborting.

• Is build 5840 compatible with any of the Vista service packs?

• @BF10 said:

@AlexThe444thMaker said:

@jonirob said:

That's because it isn't close enough to Windows Vista or XP at that point for Guest Additions to work properly. I tried to install Guest Additions on post-reset and I mostly end up with BSOD or setup aborting.

Oh...thanks

• @BF10 said:

@AlexThe444thMaker said:

@jonirob said:

Actually, I got Guest Additions working properly and even got Windows Aero working, but this is on the Windows Longhorn (6.0.5840.16384) (rc2) release,

• @kitty said:

@BF10 said:

@AlexThe444thMaker said:

@jonirob said:

Actually, I got Guest Additions working properly and even got Windows Aero working, but this is on the Windows Longhorn (6.0.5840.16384) (rc2) release,

5840 is more closer to RTM. He was talking about 5384, which isn't even close to RTM or Windows XP.

• Can anyone tell me why do I get a BSOD when I try to install Windows Longhorn build 5048?(from DVD,and my hard disk is set to IDE)

• On real hardware or a VM? What did the BSOD say? I do know that it doesn't like many ThinkPad BIOSes and calls them "not fully ACPI-compliant".

Emulators would fall under the same umbrella, but for a valid reason.

• edited July 2019

@win32 said:
    On real hardware or a VM? What did the BSOD say? I do know that it doesn't like many ThinkPad BIOSes and calls them "not fully ACPI-compliant".

Emulators would fall under the same umbrella, but for a valid reason.

On real hardware,BSOD stop code:0x7b and It is ACPI-compliant

• Specs? Chances are there is something too new that makes the build unable to read/recognize the hard drive.

• edited July 2019

@BF10 said:
    Specs? Chances are there is something too new that makes the build unable to read/recognize the hard drive.

I did manage to install a few builds of Longhorn, however it always gives me a BSOD 0x7b (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE). My CD drive is USB because the PC is a netbook.

• I don't think any build of pre-reset and early post-reset Longhorn supports USB booting.

• @Missileboi said:

@BF10 said:
    Specs? Chances are there is something too new that makes the build unable to read/recognize the hard drive.

I did manage to install a few builds of Longhorn, however it always gives me a BSOD 0x7b (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE). My CD drive is USB because the PC is a netbook.

Had the same problem with my builds. I fixed it by setting hard disk on IDE 0:0 and the CD-ROM on 0:1.

• I can use Nvidia 337.88 Version Windows Longhorn 5xxx?

• @SherryBirkin said:
    I can use Nvidia 337.88 Version Windows Longhorn 5xxx?

No,it’s not possible.

• @Missileboi said:

@SherryBirkin said:

No,it’s not possible.

Longhorn 4074?

• @SherryBirkin said:

@Missileboi said:

@SherryBirkin said:

No,it’s not possible.

Longhorn 4074?

I don’t think any prerelease of Vista will support it.

• edited March 2020

You can install Windows Longhorn build 5048 by clean installing from another build. I did it from 4001 (if you can't boot from the DVD, like in my case on a previous comment).

• does anyone have 5384.3, 5284 and 5808? it's okay if you have only one of these.

• edited March 2020

Anyone who has Windows Vista build 5308.50 please put a link.

Arch:x64
    Language:German,Japanese
    BIOS Date:02/22/2006