OS/2 Warp 4 OS/2 Warp 4.0

edited October 2018 in Product Comments

imageOS/2 Warp 4 OS/2 Warp 4.0

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• where do i get a product key from

• @nick99 said:
    where do i get a product key from

Wow that was weird seeing the first half of my s/n... Did you check inside the zip file?

• I don't think OS/2 Warp ever made use of product keys.

That aside, my uncle used to work for IBM and told me about how great this OS supposedly was.

So I secured an ISO of Warp 4.5 Server for e-Business and made the three boot floppies so I could install it on my IBM 300GL. When I inserted the CD, for some BS reason the installation wouldn't proceed.

In fact, by the time that PC was manufactured (1999) it appears that IBM didn't have much faith in the OS; the manual lists only Windows 95-2000 as supported OSes (my T41 does officially support Warp 4.51 though).

I think it had similar boot partition size restrictions to NT 4.0 (I set aside a 15 GB partition so that may have been my problem), which may have been resolved with 4.5x but I'm not sure.

• Trivia:

In the San Jose Mercury News, Fry's Electronics full back-page ad for the launch for OS/2 misspelled the name as "WRAP" [sic] multiple times, and in an extremely large font.

• Someone has to fix the Cloudflare Download for OS2 Warp 4 CD edition, because it is incomplete.

• Something I wonder is: What does WIN-OS2 mean, and what was it's purpose? Was it to replace Windows 3.1 or just a demo?

• @Helva said:
    Something I wonder is: What does WIN-OS2 mean, and what was it's purpose? Was it to replace Windows 3.1 or just a demo?

WIN-OS/2 is the Win16 subsystem in OS/2 (basically a modified copy of Windows 3.11 complete with Program/File Manager), which allows OS/2 users to seamlessly run Windows 3.x applications in the OS.

• Someone knows, how to install VirtualBox Guest Additions on this OS?

• edited May 2020

@win32 said:

@Helva said:
    Something I wonder is: What does WIN-OS2 mean, and what was it's purpose? Was it to replace Windows 3.1 or just a demo?

WIN-OS/2 is the Win16 subsystem in OS/2 (basically a modified copy of Windows 3.11 complete with Program/File Manager), which allows OS/2 users to seamlessly run Windows 3.x applications in the OS.

Can you also install Windows 3.x software on it?

• edited May 2020

@Netcliff said:

@win32 said:

@Helva said:

Can you also install Windows 3.x software on it?

Yes. Some like MS Bob need some extra steps that amount to moving files around though.

And there's something called Odin to run win32 software.

• I tried to get this running under Qemu 4.2.0 but it crashes.

• edited June 2020

@zitsky said:
    I tried to get this running under Qemu 4.2.0 but it crashes.

Sorry my comment refers to Warp 4.52. I will try 4.0 but I expect the same result.

Well with Warp 4.0 Qemu seems to be stuck on "Loading system files". I'll let it sit but it's been almost 10 minutes with no change.

• Well twice I've gotten pretty far with the install for Warp 4.0 but it seems to get stuck on "Installing Network Adapters and Protocol Services". I'll leave it on overnight and will check tomorrow if it's still there.

• @zitsky said:
    Well twice I've gotten pretty far with the install for Warp 4.0 but it seems to get stuck on "Installing Network Adapters and Protocol Services". I'll leave it on overnight and will check tomorrow if it's still there.

Try using VirtualBox!

• edited June 2020

Actually, I've run in to a similar issue in VirtualBox with 4.0. After installation it will just sit there at the boot screen. After a very long time it will actually continue and get to the desktop. Once the fixpacks are all installed (assuming the fixpack installation doesn't crap out) that problem will go away.

• I managed to get it all up and running very easily on my 486DX-4-100. Runs a tad slow due to the machine specs. But really great to see it in action. I'll try it on my P75 when I replace the Dallas RTC battery. :)

• Kind of sad this OS never caught on, superior to Win 95 in many ways, but it was esoteric. It also has the most floppies in the floppy version of an operating system that I've seen on winworld.
  • I just resurrected an Aptiva 2176 CX3 model. The IBM recovery disk re-installed Windows 95 no problem, but I kind of want to run OS2 Warp alongside Dos 5.0 rather than the stock setup for this machine. Would I be able to run the ATI 3D rage chip if I don't have directX? (ie, if i use os/2 rather than win95) or do you think I should try to dual-boot? Or rather. I could launch OS/2 from Dos can't it? Should scream with 80mb of ram and a P133
  • Did anyone try 86Box/PCem, or I'll be the first to do it?

Also, what CPU (IRL) can run it? i386DX, 486 or straight up Pentium's and K6es?
  • @Cortex Cortexified
    I have it installed in 86Box, it installs and runs without any problems.
  • @jonirob which is the boot disk/which disk should I put first?
    Also, what CPU did you choose? Will i486 work, or do I need Pentium MMX?
  • edited December 2020
    @Cortex Cortexified
    Use the Installation disk first.
    This is my 86Box configuration:

Machine: [486 ISA] AMI 486 clone
    CPU Type: i486SX/16
    Memory: 32 MB
    Display: [ISA] Trident TVGA8900D
    Input: Microsoft Serial Mouse
    Sound: [ISA] Sound Blaster 16
    Hard Disk: IDE(0:0) 63 Sectors 16 Heads 2448 Cylinders
    Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44M
    CD-ROM: ATAPI (0:1) Speed 8x.

• edited December 2020
    @jonirob Thanks, seems I'm doing wrong somewhere...
    I'm facing problems with HDD. After insertion of DISK-2, it says some kind of error with C: drive [SYS0039: The C: device is not Ready]. I'm trying to resolve it, I'll let you know. I'm tired for now, thanks.

Edit: Does this have any kind of bug(s) with some CPU's?
  • Where can someone get the betas of OS/2 Warp 4 (Merlin)
  • OS/2 vers 4 did make use of product keys. Such keys were proof of eligability to upgrade, and were entered and net-varified by 'art' (the little dancing elephant). This was dropped in vers 4.5.

As for system requirements, I think OS/2 up to v 4.0 is an 'OS/2' system in the bios settings, which affected how memory was addressed. 4.5 uses the 'non-OS/2' setting. Be careful also if the fixed disk is set out for LBA or whatever. This was coming in at the time. You might need to set it to CHS type settings. This is the cause of Cortex's problems.
  • edited February 2023
    No luck getting the "IBM OS2 Warp 4.0 (3.5-XDF)" images under 86BOX or HCX disk hardware emulator to run/load. Install disk 0 and disk 1 are ok, so the install does start.

On 2nd disks, 86BOX gives error: "OS/2 is unable to operate your hard disk or diskette drive. The system is stopped. correct the preceding error and restart the system."
    I've tried different floppy controllers (using 486DX2 w/ AMI), set BIOS to 2.88 and 1.44 disks. HDD is set as
    1023 Cyl
    15 Head
    17 Sector

For HCX, the img to hfe conversion isn't working, so it won't boot the images. (MS-DOS 3.00 img works fine converted to HFE, not sure what issue is on these OS/2 images).
  • Not much supports XDF format. Off hand, the only way I know to use those is to use real hardware with a real FDC and write to floppy disks with IBM's XDF disk writer tool.
  • edited May 2023
    I installed OS/2 Warp 4 on PCem and it works perfectly without issues!

Machine: [Socket 7] ASUS P/I-P55T2P4
    CPU Type: AMD K6/266
    Memory: 128 MB
    Display: ATI Video Xpression (Mach64 VT2)
    Input: Microsoft Intellimouse (PS/2)
    Sound: Sound Blaster AWE32
    Hard Disk: Standard IDE, 17 Sectors, 15 Headers, 1023 Cylinders, 127MB
    Floppy Drive: 3.5" 2.88M
    Network Driver: Realtek Systems RTL8029AS

Sorry if PRNTSCRN Error.