Chrome: The end of an era

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46988319

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-may-break-ad-blockers-with-upcoming-chrome-change/

I'll just leave these links here but, if anybody wants to know just from my post only: an upcoming change to Chrome will break and ruin everything about the browser itself... from ad-blockers, to other extensions and even password managers. This could be the start of a mass exodus of everyone in the world, and I'm talking 62% of the entire population as by the latest browser market share. This is it folks... the era of Chrome is over. It's time to move on.

When this happens, a Chromium-based fork shall dethrone it, or that people can switch to Firefox if they wish to.

Comments

• It's a proposed design change and from all of the backlash this has been getting lately, I'd be very surprised if they actually move forward with it.

That being said, if they do go in this direction, it may in fact be what causes me to switch off of chrome. I really prefer Chrome over Firefox, but I won't go back to dealing with ads. They're as dangerous as they are annoying. Maybe Brave browser will take off.

• I sure hope Google doesn't make it so that Chrome stops providing password management, because managing passwords is important if you forgot your password and have trouble logging in to your account on a website. But hey, no one can really say what will happen anytime in the future, so maybe Google will not be butchering Chrome in that such way. I especially hope extension support doesn't get messed up because I could really use certain extensions for certain things (except ad-blockers, because I like supporting site owners by making them money via ads on their sites), including my Stylus extension to have the classic WinWorld/WinBoards theme, but again, not a lot of people can really see the future.

• except ad-blockers, because I like supporting site owners by making them money via ads on their sites

I think there are better ways to support site owners. For example, there's Brave (https://brave.com/) which I think is an interesting concept I'd like to see take off.

I have seen ads that try to download and run malware. And besides that, they just slow everything down. I dream of an ad free internet... But it's probably just that... a dream.

• @BlueSun said:
    I dream of an ad free internet... But it's probably just that... a dream.

Well back during the Internet's earlier days, ads didn't exist at all. It wasn't until the turn of the new millenium that they started to appear but, weren't as harmful as they are today.

Also, malvertising you say? Ha. DeviantArt's so guilty of it :s

• @BlueSun said:

except ad-blockers, because I like supporting site owners by making them money via ads on their sites

I think there are better ways to support site owners. For example, there's Brave (https://brave.com/) which I think is an interesting concept I'd like to see take off.

I have seen ads that try to download and run malware. And besides that, they just slow everything down. I dream of an ad free internet... But it's probably just that... a dream.

Does Brave make site owners money? Also, ads are safe if they're from Google. I think your dream of an ad-free internet is probably not coming true anytime soon.

Off-topic comment:
    Whenever I go on a website with ads, I sometimes get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside knowing that I've just helped support the webmaster, LOL.

• @JonathonWyble said:
    Does Brave make site owners money? Also, ads are safe if they're from Google. I think your dream of an ad-free internet is probably not coming true anytime soon.

Yes. That's the point of it. But it gives you more control so you can decide how much you want to contribute to the site owners.

• edited January 2019

People talk about the mass movement from Chrome when this is implemented (by the way this is being implemented upstream to the Chromium code so every Chromium browser would be affected) but this may just entice an increased install base for alternate adblocking solutions such as PiHole.

• @Doqtor Kirby said:
    People talk about the mass movement from Chrome when this is implemented (by the way this is being implemented upstream to the Chromium code so every Chromium browser would be affected)

Including the new Edge, that is currently being redesigned under the Chromium engine? I would guess Torch would be affected also. This sucks, big time :(

• I personally do not like Chrome/Chromium, and never liked it. Just something about it that browser that just panged "fuuuuuu" something. Oh wait, the fact it always regards me as a child and treats me like "Browser knows best. You're just a user, you couldn't know better."
    But then everyone starts using it and I became the laughing stock of the workplace. Do I care? No. I'll stick to pale moon, which gets the job done.

I won't be surprised if Google pushes this through. After all, their large sources of revenue happens to be analytics and ads, which are being hurt by a good portion of the extensions that are affected by the proposed change. It's not like most browsers have all switched to their own incarnations of Chrome extension standard, right? Hope your favorite browser doesn't implement the next specification in the name of "security and speed."

• edited January 2019

Oh wait, the fact it always regards me as a child and treats me like "Browser knows best. You're just a user, you couldn't know better."

Google is such a nanny corp! They go to lengths to block YouTube videos from being viewed in PM 26.5 win2k build, although you can still watch them depending on the viewing method (direct external links and embeds are blocked but internal links work fine).

I'll be ad-blocking those creeps forever.

They also "stole" usenet (google groups) and stuffed it with the bloat that is characteristic of their other services.

• I've never really had any experience with Chromium, but sometimes when I install a certain app, the Chromium browser gets automatically installed on my computer with the software I'm originally installing. And so I just ignore the Chromium application and eventually uninstall it. Anyway, I've been a proud Chrome user since, I want to say, 2011 (I was nine years old at the time), and it's been my every day browser ever since. I have had other browsers that I used both before and after I started using Chrome, it kind of strikes me that I haven't been familiar with Internet Explorer since I moved away from that browser in late 2010. I have used Firefox in my life, but I haven't used it much since mid 2016.
    One small thing about Chrome is, it stops receiving updates when the Windows version your PC runs is about to end support. For example, on one of my PCs running Windows Vista, whenever I go on Chrome, it says that the PC no longer receives Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Vista are no longer supported, and I know why, it's because as Windows Vista was ending support, Google had to stop providing Chrome updates for any computers running Vista, and after Windows XP ended support in April 2014, Google continued providing Chrome updates for XP computers up until the end of 2015. So yeah, Google Chrome may be fine on Chromebooks, where it is the default browser, but not so much on Windows. But that doesn't really make me hate Chrome.

• edited January 2019

@BlueSun said:

Your dream was a reality once. It was the 90's where the internet had just started to take off. You saw ads but not nearly as many. And back then tech support scams weren't a thing and viruses didn't really exist much.

That era is over now sadly.

• edited January 2019

mid '90s maybe. then some guy invented pop-ups (an invention he personally regrets) and the world went to shit...

when you didn't know there were other browsers besides IE 6, and went to geocities and tripod sites, getting like 4 or 5 pop-ups per page.

then you had all the stupid spyware toolbars (like ask and mywebsearch) that got bundled with limewire and kazaa that were attacking millions of 98/ME/XP users around the world.

i wonder if there are parts of the internet where pop-ups are still being served, ~12 years after they went out of style? or maybe Google will eventually try to impose them on everyone again with further updates to Chrome?

nowadays, even commercial software is pestering its users with ads on the desktop: Corel software is a good example.

• I personally block ads with no remorse.

• @TheTechWiz25 said:

@BlueSun said:

Your dream was a reality once. It was the 90's where the internet had just started to take off. You saw ads but not nearly as many. And back then tech support scams weren't a thing and viruses didn't really exist much.

Yeah, that was what I said far above :P

• @TheTechWiz25 said:
    It was the 90's where the internet had just started to take off. [...] and viruses didn't really exist much.

I feel like viruses were more of a thing in the '90s. I mean yeah, there's more out there now, but I don't feel like computers get infected as easily as they did back then. AV software is baked into the OS now.

• @win32 said:
    i wonder if there are parts of the internet where pop-ups are still being served, ~12 years after they went out of style? or maybe Google will eventually try to impose them on everyone again with further updates to Chrome?

Yes, whenever I search for a hotel on the Marriott site, I notice a popup appear behind the main browser window. That's the biggest one I've noticed.

Also I always remember advertising on the Internet, even back in the AOL days. Maybe very early Internet didn't have it, but it became a thing very quickly.

• edited January 2019

Well Rip my School´s PC´s

Viruses, Ad´s and the other crap that on the internet

• @lolcat said:

What is viruses and ads? That ads I has been seen is Taboola, idk what Taboola publishes that ads.

• The whole point is that that Chrome is moving in the direction of being very hostile to anything that tries to block or alter content. This will be even worse if we return to a browser monoculture where all browsers are just shells to Chrome. Once everything shares the same bugs or intentional backdoors, viruses - or more likely semi-legitimate corporate malware - will follow.

• The list of reason to use Firefox just got longer! Seriously though, I hope Google doesn't push this through. And if they do I hope the other browsers don't follow suit.

• @eduardokramerbr said:

@lolcat said:

What is viruses and ads? That ads I has been seen is Taboola, idk what Taboola publishes that ads.

Some Ad´s have links to viruses when chrome pushes that update ad blockers will be broken and viruses will be everywhere better get a antivirus fast before that update comes

• If your browser does not support content blocking, I won’t use it. Advertising has gotten downright malicious. Without an ad-blocker I often get redirects and full screen ads. Things like this is why I continue to lose trust in Google.

• lol people may install IE 6 and a ad blocker