Quake

Is Quake considered 'abandonware'? I'm curious, as popular games like doom are on the downloads page, and Quake was only released 3 years after doom.

Comments

• The original Quake isn't sold on GOG, although the others in the series are (haven't checked other services). I'd be cautious in the event that they do start selling it though.

Maybe if it had severe compatibility issues with NT6 (and no patches), which would hamper its sales potential, then it could definitely be considered abandonware.

• The games on winworld are mostly a mishmash of stuff that was added by others and has been here for ages.

• @win32 said:
    The original Quake isn't sold on GOG, although the others in the series are (haven't checked other services). I'd be cautious in the event that they do start selling it though.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

@SomeGuy said:
    The games on winworld are mostly a mishmash of stuff that was added by others and has been here for ages.

and yeah, it definitely shows.

• @win32 said:
    The original Quake isn't sold on GOG, although the others in the series are (haven't checked other services). I'd be cautious in the event that they do start selling it though.

Maybe if it had severe compatibility issues with NT6 (and no patches), which would hamper its sales potential, then it could definitely be considered abandonware.

Yeah, there must be a good reason why original Quake isn't available on GoG. I'm guessing they just can't guarantee the compatibility.

• edited June 2019

I realize this thread is a few months old, but Quake is indeed available, and on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/QUAKE/

• If you have the old Quake, the first one, you can try a Source port that makes it run on Vulkan and add newer capabilities to it's old engine, like new lighting and shader...