Windows 2000 on Modern Hardware Assistance

For the lolz, I tried to install Windows 2000 on my Dell Latitude E6430. I had tried XP and it worked (I run Win7 x64 normally) and figured I would just try the Blackwingcat drivers for video and other things and just try to get it to work. But, there were problems. The first phase of setup (the text based setup off the CD-ROM) worked fine and I was able to copy the install files over to the hard drive. However, when it rebooted into the second phase of setup (early GUI setup), it softlocked. As far as I could tell, it was still running, but it was waiting on keyboard/mouse input, so I could not continue as neither my built-in keyboards/mice would work or external USB devices.

Windows 7's device manager always said the built-in devices were PS/2 and even if they were USB, I'd think the BIOS would do some fooling to make them seem like PS/2 (and it does -- I can use the built-in peripherals in MS-DOS and the text based setup). So what gives? Any idea why it won't respond and any ideas on how to get it to work?

Comments

• Windows 2000 on Sandy Bridge (aka post-X58 platforms) and above has a problem where it doesn't automatically install the right USB drivers, and it must be pointed to them in device manager using PS/2 input devices.

Is there any option for USB legacy support in BIOS?

You might be able to get somewhere by integrating blackwingcat's Extended Core (which is independent from the extended kernel and installs the XP USB stack)

• @win32 said:
    Windows 2000 on Sandy Bridge (aka post-X58 platforms) and above has a problem where it doesn't automatically install the right USB drivers, and it must be pointed to them in device manager using PS/2 input devices.

Is there any option for USB legacy support in BIOS?

You might be able to get somewhere by integrating blackwingcat's Extended Core (which is independent from the extended kernel and installs the XP USB stack)

Alright, I think I might try that. The main issue is I am pretty sure I am using PS/2 devices to begin with anyway, but obviously not. In DOS, USB devices work like PS/2 so I am confused. I can try to integrate the Extended Core you mentioned into the CD and see if that works after I burn it.

• edited April 2019

UPDATE: Here are BWC's instructions for integrating extended core using HFSLIP 2000:

If you want to integrate to slipstream the Kernel Core, try the following way.

1. You compress NT.exe to NT.ex_ with cabarc

2. copy to the NT*.ex_ into \REPLACE\i386

3. copy to NT*.exe to HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB(not compressed)

4. The other *.sys files in Kernel core are copied to HFEXPERT\WIN\system32\Drivers and >HFEXPERT\DRIVERCAB (please reference English version Windows 2000 Hfslip kit)

5. You can use Intel SATA AHCI Driver 8.9 as same as English version Windows 2000 Hfslip >kit (Please look at HFEXPERT\STORAGE)

from: https://msfn.org/board/topic/170950-windows-2000-on-haswell/?page=3

(don't forget hal.dll as well)

You can also download blackwingcat's extended kernel/core integrated HFSLIP package.
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1763141.html