good antivirus for a gaming laptop

I have a alien ware laptop and looking for a good antivirus that will help protecting my laptop while playing online games. i am using the built in one in windows 10. I been looking at free ones and ones you pay for. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• What's wrong with the built in windows defender?

• I was told by few people i should get a better antivirus. One for a gaming pc so when i am out in the public i don't get a virus. I was told built in one in windows 10 don't work good for gaming pc and was design for pc that do a lot of gaming.

• I don't see how gaming would be any different from other uses in terms of susceptibility to malware. Safe web browsing habits like adblocking and not clicking on sketchy executables, as well as the basic protection of Windows Defender should suffice.

• Why should you worry about getting infected? Viruses only happen if you browse into the wrong places let alone download crap from them. Windows Defender is better than nothing.

Just game on and don't get so paranoid.

• @nikkigreg1974 said:
    I was told by few people i should get a better antivirus. One for a gaming pc so when i am out in the public i don't get a virus. I was told built in one in windows 10 don't work good for gaming pc and was design for pc that do a lot of gaming.

The reason you were probably told that was due to poor reputation and people just assuming that the anti-virus that's built in isn't good enough whereas in fact, it's actually really decent and 99.99% of the time you don't need anything else.

If you're worried about gaming performance being impacted by the AV software. Don't be. Any gaming machine worth anything will have no problem running games and AV software at the same time.

The only additional thing I would recommend installing besides the built in Defender is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

• Yeah, the built-in one is fine. Microsoft actually did a nice job on it - something I don't say too often!

• Meh i had a antivirus that blocked programs from saving to my documents.
    Took me an hour to figure out why it didn't save. So some av just needs a lottle tweaking.

• edited May 2019

best antivirus is common sense; i'm still using windows xp and windows 7 x64 on my decade-old netbook.

• This alien ware came with a 90 day trial of McAfee antivirus but i uninstalled it and use the built in one. It was a dell version of McAfee antivirus. Dell support will popup and run some software to see if my computer at peak performance and tell me i need to install a antivirus. I just stay with the built in one. Thanks.

• Malwarebytes? That one is classified as one of the best anit-virus programs.