dBASE III v1.0

edited May 2019 in Product Comments

imagedBASE III v1.0

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edited May 2019

There is also this: https://archive.org/details/DBaseIIISpecialEducationalEdition1985BoydFraser, which comprises a set of working dBASE III application files and can be overlaid upon an otherwise non-working dBASE III r1.0 install - without the associated problems regarding 286+ processors, etc.

To quote: Special educational version of (dBASE III(R)) for use with the IBM PC, XT, AT, and compatibles. Copyright 1985 (Ashton-Tate). All rights reserved.

As I understand it, this was a special version created to go with a Boyd/Fraser book, and has no copy protection. No idea how "cut-down" this might be relative to a proper working r1.0 though :)

I used this to get an (apparently) functioning dBASE III app running under a suitably "PIF-ed" CMD window on a VirtualBox Windows 2000 VM - so I guess that means it doesn't have an 80286/80386 problem, whereas I could not get the r1.0 copy to work - as it neither likes 80286/80386 nor emulators.

• It is quite difficult to obtain dBase III version 1.0, even on an untouched diskette.

I was lucky enough to get a diskette a few times, but unfortunately the contents had already been modified.