Forced two-factor authentication...?

2»

Comments

• edited August 2019

@nick99nack said:

@Bry89 said:
    Even if I get this sorted, I may think about ditching Gmail altogether in the future, and use a different email provider that isn't so stringent with security (and all I can think of just now is Outlook.com. Any more suggestions, hit me up with them).

AOL isn't as strict and still follows the classic format of message display, rather than threaded view and the highly annoying double inbox on Outlook.com (featured vs other or something like that).

AOL is old and unsupported, so I don't think anyone would want to go with that, unless they're willing to. Sometimes I use Outlook.com, which works fine for me, but I mostly use Gmail, which is excellent for receiving and sending emails.

• edited August 2019

AOL Mail is still going strong, considering that Verizon switched their email service for Internet subscribers over to them only two years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_Mail

For an email service, "unsupported" would be taking it offline, I believe.

It should also be excellent for receiving and sending emails. Even better if it doesn't look like Windows 8 :p

• @win32 said:
    AOL Mail is still going strong, considering that Verizon switched their email service for Internet subscribers over to them only two years ago:

It should also be excellent for receiving and sending emails. Even better if it doesn't look like Windows 8 :p

Oh, heh, I was thinking of AOL's messaging program AIM, which is obsolete. As for unsupportedness, if it were to be offline, but still used, then maybe it's just a mirror that someone scraped off the database from the real platform? Eh, I doubt that. And I like using Gmail because it has a clean interface that I can actually work in.

• @JonathonWyble said:

@win32 said:

Oh, heh, I was thinking of AOL's messaging program AIM, which is obsolete. As for unsupportedness, if it were to be offline, but still used, then maybe it's just a mirror that someone scraped off the database from the real platform? Eh, I doubt that. And I like using Gmail because it has a clean interface that I can actually work in.

Yeah, AIM is offline, but AOL Mail is still going. There are homebrew AIM servers (and I've been working on one myself actually), but they don't have any information from the old AOL.

My only complaint is that AOL is now using Yahoo's mail servers on the backend, which caused some hiccups for a while. I think they've about smoothed those out, though.