Are you power code complaint?

QQ
edited June 2004 in Hardware
Is your setup comliant with the recommenedations of your local, state, and national power codes?

-Q

Comments

• If I knew them, lol. Erm... I think daisy chaning power strips is a no-no. I run from wall, to UPS, to power strip, to a 3 outlet splitter, so I guess that's bad. Also off the UPS is another power strip. I don't really know the codes, so I can't see.

The fire inspector used to come to my dad's office, and there was never a problem there, except he didn't like the cord on a lamp once.
  • Yeah, sure! my bedroom has two power outlets which are not grounded. from one of those outlets is a 9-outlet-powerstrip, which contains two computers, a TV, a Stereo and loads of other shit. But we don't have much rules on power usage. All the electronics in Europe use 230volts.
  • What is "power code"?
  • Probly not
  • Probly not

Remember that outlet thingy you put in?
  • Probly not

Remember that outlet thingy you put in?

Thats legal, Im probly am up to code. I got like 2 surge protectors in one outlet. I just gotta ground my outlets. I never got around to it becuase Its so damn fun to lick my PCs! ITs only this 1 room in my basement thats not grounded. I got my 400MHz and my Duron in different rooms.
  • Oh. I didn't know you brought the 400MHz upstairs, too.
  • Yes, dont know why, butI did.

I dont think Ill ever ground the outlets in that room. Its too dam,n fun!
  • LOL. I'd never run anything not grounded. I think all my outlets are. :-)
  • I just never get around ti grounding them....
  • Yep. I run my comp from a single power strip.
  • The power code in the US @ least is what the government says you have to do when wiring in order to pass inspection.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    The power code in the US @ least is what the government says you have to do when wiring in order to pass inspection.

-Q

Well, then I pass
  • Don't think I am compliant, I'm draining like 1000 watts from one outlet, and I have two powerbars in one outlet, then another power bar in a different outlet, all of them fully loaded and on one breaker.
  • I used to have like 3 surge protects and 1>3 splitter on a christmas light extension cord, I figured out it was shit when I cranked up the amp, had my PC running and started up my laptop.

I eventually realised that there were 2 free outlets
  • I have a lot on like one outlet. I think it's a strong one, though, as it's not a problem. I have the AC (a huge one), 3 PC's and monitors, and other crap.
  • Strong?

All outlets are 110V.

I doubt you have 230V, thats whats run into your breaker box or other highly powerflull equipment
  • Actually, there is a 230 or other odd outlet out here, I believe. It's for our hot tub that used to be out here.

My PC is on a different outlet, tho. Can't the Amperage vary on the breaker?
  • No, its 120 or 230. The 2 Std. voltage in US.

And hot tubs, those lines are specially made, noone rewires they're house with 230V unless its a school or a place that uses alot of electricity.
  • IBM: I assume you're talking about Mental.

Mental lives in the NETHERLANDS, in EUROPE. They have all different kinds of sockets, recepticals, voltages, and frequencies,

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

-Q
  • Oops, I thought that 120-7 were used in regular outlets, fixures, etc.

and 220-40 were used to run into breakers, and mose electricity comsuming dvices, AKA hot tubs, air compressors, etc
  • What about stoves, Warp? We have a duel-fuel range. It's got a gas cooktop and an electric oven. You want the gas on top for precision for heating stuff on top, yet the electric is better for the oven. It provides equal temperatures, unlike a gas oven. It needs a gas line and the 220/240 line. It's some gourmet thing.

Also, dryers. They use 220 to 240V.

And hottubs, look here. http://www.colemanspas.com/spadetails/?id=1672
    Coleman Spas....
    Electrical Requirements
    (3-Wire)................................... 240V / 40A / 60A
  • The map that link has explains it.

-Q
  • What about stoves, Warp? We have a duel-fuel range. It's got a gas cooktop and an electric oven. You want the gas on top for precision for heating stuff on top, yet the electric is better for the oven. It provides equal temperatures, unlike a gas oven. It needs a gas line and the 220/240 line. It's some gourmet thing.

Also, dryers. They use 220 to 240V.

And hottubs, look here. http://www.colemanspas.com/spadetails/?id=1672
    Coleman Spas....
    Electrical Requirements
    (3-Wire)................................... 240V / 40A / 60A

THats exactly what I was talking about.
  • in england we have between 220 and 250v at 13 amps. the power sockets use 3 pins and i have no clue what the regulations are for stuff like that.
  • JEA doesn't care how much power you use here. The more the better so they can get more money lol. When I use a Power surger I make sure it can also protect from brown outs and try not to use more then 4 or 5 things on the power surger. Yes they have power surgers that can support way more but if not careful you can blow the curcit breaker. I installed six wall outlets in here and also I have a few UPS units. Soon i'm going to look into about getting a few Power Regulators.
  • Im not up to code on anything :)
  • i know the uk has a power code i just don't know what it is. besides they don't come round your house every six months and check.
    that's just businesses...
  • BOD wrote:
    i know the uk has a power code i just don't know what it is. besides they don't come round your house every six months and check.
    that's just businesses...

They only do that if say..you got a permit the build, when you get one, they may send out an inspector a few weeks later on surprise.

The US laws are fucked up, you gotta get a permit to fig a 1ft hole, file it with stones and then put a shed over it.
  • Developemnts can be worse. The development my house is in in the Poconos, you can't have a fence, unless it's like one of those cow corral fences, as to not destroy the natural beauty of the Pocnos.Yet people down the street have a chainlink dog fence, WTF?

You have to get a permit to cut down a tree.

Also, the Architectual comittee has to approve your house paint color (including trim). Somepeople painted there house link pink or some bright color, I think they have to repaint it.