3DMM Not working for operating systems above Win9x

I know it is made for Win9x but is there some way to make it work for operating systems above Win9x?
I tried setting compatibility to Windows 98, using methods from the internet and I would get an error message that said "We can't get the information we need from a file" for some reason... Can anyone help me?

Comments

• It's possible (even likely!) that it has some 16bit components.

Support for 16bit mode was removed by AMD from 64bit mode (so you could either have 16bit components and 32bit components or 32bit components and 64bit components in the same OS, never all three).

Thus it's highly likely that it would work on 32bit OS (maybe even Windows 10, although that's not tested).

It certainly works on XP.

• @khim said:
    It's possible (even likely!) that it has some 16bit components.

Support for 16bit mode was removed by AMD from 64bit mode (so you could either have 16bit components and 32bit components or 32bit components and 64bit components in the same OS, never all three).

Thus it's highly likely that it would work on 32bit OS (maybe even Windows 10, although that's not tested).

Goddamnit, I thought so much about compability that 16bit not working with 64bit didn't get into my head. I am so stupid sometimes...

• However I tried it on Windows XP 32-bit and it spits out "We can't get information we need from a file", this fucking thing happens everytime..

• That's strange. Wikia very explicitly says: "will work on Windows XP"

https://3dmoviemaker.fandom.com/wiki/System_Requirements_for_3DMM

• @khim said:
    That's strange. Wikia very explicitly says: "will work on Windows XP"

https://3dmoviemaker.fandom.com/wiki/System_Requirements_for_3DMM

Well atleast is there a fix to this "We can't get information we need from a file" bullshit?

Oh and I tried a Windows 98 VM, it worked but the mouse sensitivity is too much I think probably because I use VMWare

• 16-bit applications not working on 64-bit Windows is caused by Microsoft not porting NTVDM to 64-bit Windows. You can easily run Windows 3.x programs on 32-bit Windows on a 64-bit CPU.

• Technically, it is possible to get to 16-bit mode from 64-bit mode – Wine does that for 16-bit applications. (or at least did, I have not checked recently) But still, it is different enough that MS did not port the NTVDM, or some of the hacks needed to support it.

Of course, they could have use an emulator like they did on Windows NT for Alpha CPUs. (Which, BTW were RISC based 64-bit CPUs)