Minecraft: Windows XP Edition

I did this in VirtualBox, and I got a ton of frezees.

Comments

• Obviously, MineCraft isn't compatible with XP. Nice try though.

• I think: Some old versions of Windows can't run Minecraft. Are you tried this in VMWare? But I don't prefer Windows XP for playing Minecraft.

• @Bry89 said:
    Obviously, MineCraft isn't compatible with XP. Nice try though.

Obviously Windows XP can run MC, but recent versions have dropped support. Also if you got freezes is because you ran it on a VM. It runs fine on a normal XP PC

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Also if you got freezes is because you ran it on a VM

Makes perfect sense, because a VM isn't configured the same way as a real machine. Not unless if anybody could run it under PCem or QEMU to see what happens.

• @Bry89 said:

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    Also if you got freezes is because you ran it on a VM

Makes perfect sense, because a VM isn't configured the same way as a real machine. Not unless if anybody could run it under PCem or QEMU to see what happens.

Now I found one of thing for this discussion;

You can run Minecraft on Windows XP. But you are using Virtualbox to run Windows XP. Virtualbox looks slow. Virtual Machine is not always faster than real hardware. This slow is not by Windows XP.

• Just an update.
    When I created a normal world, java froze, and i killed it in task manger. I could try turning down the render distance, and that might not freeze.

• edited April 2019

Try using an older version of Minecraft and java aswell. Because newer versions consume alot of resources. And older java so the older version works with it.

• edited May 2019

I've ran MC on XP recently, it runs pretty nice. But my hardware is a bit under-powered for MC 1.12 so I have to use it along OptiFine (With some minor tweaking, and it still looks great). It runs fine with Java 8u130.

I think Java 8 u151 was the last version compatible with XP, for anyone willing to try.

• It should run as the OG one is made in Java...

• Is it possible to cross-platform on both PC and mobile? I tried using an old version of Minecraft on PC and the old patch of it on Apknite, but I didn't find out the way.

• Windows XP can definetely run Minecraft. I seen a guy run Minecraft on Windows 98 on real hardware. Its just the virtual machine, try real hardware and it will run better.

• edited February 2020

The problem with WinXP and Minecraft is that Minecraft requires a certain minimum version of Java to run. I think the minimum Java version for the oldest versions of Minecraft was Java 5. So the question comes down to this. What is the latest version of Java that can be run on Windows XP? Also since Minecraft requires OpenGL to run, that means your graphics card must support OpenGL, and if you do have a graphics card that supports OpenGL the driver for the graphics card must work on Windows XP.

If you are doing this in a virtual machine like VirtualBox, the question is now if your emulator is capable of emulating graphics hardware that supports OpenGL. I don't know if it does or not. I know VirtualBox supports 3D graphics via Direct3D (part of Direct X), but I don't know if it also supports OpenGL.

• Java 8 u241 01-14-2020 works in XP. But Oracle requires registration to download it now, so this page has some direct links:

https://www.nsanedown.com/?news=394673994

I do believe that OpenGL support in VMs is better than DX support.

• @win32 said:
    Java 8 u241 01-14-2020 works in XP. But Oracle requires registration to download it now, so this page has some direct links:

https://www.nsanedown.com/?news=394673994

I do believe that OpenGL support in VMs is better than DX support.

Java old versions used to be able to be downloaded by simply clicking that you accept their terms of use / license agreement. No account used to be required, but now you need to register for some reason. Why?

• They probably want more data mining opportunities.