Old PC is not powering on

edited December 2019 in Hardware

So quite a while ago, neighbors gave us PC and Monitor, monitor still works, i am even using it as 2nd monitor.
But PC doesn't turn on, i have a question, can it be just my modern power supply cable, because it has 2 power supply ports
Information about monitor and PC
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 753s
Processor: Intel Celeron 700 MHZ/128 KB
Graphics Card: Inno3d Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 16 MB
HDD: Maxtor 8 GB
RAM: 256 MB
OS: I don't even know, if you can't guess why, read the title again
PSU: 250W Power Supply
Motherboard: Don't know, because i didn't saw company names

Comments

• So it does absolutely nothing when you plug the power cord in and press the power button? No lights, fans, etc?

• edited December 2019

@nick99nack said:
    So it does absolutely nothing when you plug the power cord in and press the power button? No lights, fans, etc?

yeah, i don't heard anything spinning and such
    edit: also yes, it doesn't even beep, i am saying that, because pc does have PC Speaker

• Is it ATX? If so, these power on using a signal from the motherboard, so make sure that the power button is connected to the motherboard. Also, some ATX power supplies have a power switch as well, but you still need to get the power on signal from the motherboard, after turning on the switch.

You can also force the power supply to turn on by shorting the green wire with a black wire, but you probably don't want to do that unless you know what you're doing. I'd check for voltages first, with a multi-meter before attempting to force the PSU on.

• @jafir said:
    Is it ATX? If so, these power on using a signal from the motherboard, so make sure that the power button is connected to the motherboard. Also, some ATX power supplies have a power switch as well, but you still need to get the power on signal from the motherboard, after turning on the switch.

You can also force the power supply to turn on by shorting the green wire with a black wire, but you probably don't want to do that unless you know what you're doing. I'd check for voltages first, with a multi-meter before attempting to force the PSU on.

I will look, if it's the problem

• Congrats on the Samsung Syncmaster 753s, those are among the better VGA CRT monitors.

• @SomeGuy said:
    Congrats on the Samsung Syncmaster 753s, those are among the better VGA CRT monitors.

thank you

• @megamanyoutuber said:

@jafir said:
    Is it ATX? If so, these power on using a signal from the motherboard, so make sure that the power button is connected to the motherboard. Also, some ATX power supplies have a power switch as well, but you still need to get the power on signal from the motherboard, after turning on the switch.

There is no Power button on PSU, Power button is connected.

• @megamanyoutuber said:

@megamanyoutuber said:

@jafir said:

There is no Power button on PSU, Power button is connected.

There is chance ATX cable is the problem, because port that modern power supply's use are not made as where it gets power unlike modern psu

• @megamanyoutuber said:
    There is chance ATX cable is the problem, because port that modern power supply's use are not made as where it gets power unlike modern psu

I totally do not understand what you are trying to say. If the motherboard is ATX then you can still connect any new ATX power supply to it, although a "modern" ATX power supply will have all kinds of extra connectors for video cards, extra motherboard power, and such. That would be the first thing I would try - connecting a different supply - but then, I have all kinds of spares sitting around.

Keep in mind that some computers, like those from Dell and Compaq, may use a proprietary connector instead. (To keep you going back to the manufacture for repairs)

• @SomeGuy said:

@megamanyoutuber said:

I totally do not understand what you are trying to say. If the motherboard is ATX then you can still connect any new ATX power supply to it, although a "modern" ATX power supply will have all kinds of extra connectors for video cards, extra motherboard power, and such. That would be the first thing I would try - connecting a different supply - but then, I have all kinds of spares sitting around.

Keep in mind that some computers, like those from Dell and Compaq, may use a proprietary connector instead. (To keep you going back to the manufacture for repairs)

I will probably try replacing PSU, i have PC that isn't used for now

• @SomeGuy said:

@megamanyoutuber said:

Just to note, it's not pre-built.

• @megamanyoutuber said:

@SomeGuy said:

@megamanyoutuber said:

Just to note, it's not pre-built.

OK guys, power supply is the problem, checked with my PSU and it's working