Windows 10 and Microsoft's New Logo are NO GOOD!

edited January 2020 in Software

All support for Windows 7 was discontinued today January 14 2020,
so it's time for Microsoft to start the development of a true successor to Windows 10 and restore its old company logo!

Some features nice to have on the true successor of Windows 10 would be:

• Distributions on Blu-ray Disc and USB.
  • Support for Blu-ray movies and audio discs out of the box.
  • Offline Help and Classic Themes - both removed in Windows 8.

Comments

• Why on Blu-ray? It can fit on a DVD, and OEM copies are available in that format. Windows 10 is also already sold in USB format.

Agree on classic themes. Support for movies won't happen because of licensing issues.

They need to get rid of forced telemetry and updates before I'd use it regularly.

What's very telling is that Windows 10 came out FIVE years ago, yet we're still talking about it like it's a brand new OS. That's because every 6 months when it updates, it basically IS a new OS, complete with its own set of bugs. Gone are the days of "let's wait a year or two before upgrading the OS until we know what bugs there are and how to work around them". Now, we're all on unstable builds. There is no time to prepare.

• @nick99nack said:
    Gone are the days of "let's wait a year or two before upgrading the OS until we know what bugs there are and how to work around them".

Well, released products aren't supposed to have bugs or need workarounds that prevent its use for 1-2 years. If it's released, then it should be ready for production... At least, that's the theory anyway. That 1-2 year waiting period is really only necessary if they make a major architecture change, like going from XP to Vista, or 7 to 8. The jump between 8 and 10 really isn't much of a jump at all, and the jumps between 10 releases are even less so.

If they release Windows 11 with a totally re-written kernel or something, then yeah, I'd apply that 1-2 year waiting period.

• @BlueSun said:
    Well, released products aren't supposed to have bugs or need workarounds that prevent its use for 1-2 years. If it's released, then it should be ready for production... At least, that's the theory anyway. That 1-2 year waiting period is really only necessary if they make a major architecture change, like going from XP to Vista, or 7 to 8. The jump between 8 and 10 really isn't much of a jump at all, and the jumps between 10 releases are even less so.

That's the theory, but so far it's gone like this: MS releases Windows 10 build whatever. Build whatever has a bug that hoses some machines, so Microsoft stops the rollout until it's fixed. Being an IT guy for a school, I see the updates happen on a large mix of hardware and software combinations. So far, every update has had some type of annoying bug that has to be patched, and I usually don't find out about it until a teacher complains something isn't working.

• @nick99nack said:
    Why on Blu-ray?

Because the distribution media will require more than 8.5 GB of storage (a dual-layer DVD).

• @LaserBeamTube said:

@nick99nack said:
    Why on Blu-ray?

Because the distribution media will require more than 8.5 GB of storage (a dual-layer DVD).

The current version of Windows is an ISO file less than 4GB. How much more could you possibly shove into it that it would need another 4.5GB of space? That would be an insanely bloated OS.

• @BlueSun said:
    If they release Windows 11 with a totally re-written kernel or something, then yeah, I'd apply that 1-2 year waiting period.

I'd like to see it Unix-based, but that's only a pipe dream.

@nick99nack said:
    They need to get rid of forced telemetry and updates before I'd use it regularly.

THIS, completely!

Also, new logo you say? Well... here's a little mock-up I did years ago if it would mean something.

But Nadella and his cronies would probably think flat uninspiring squares is "better". Them in a skewed position doesn't quite cut it, in my humbly honest opinion.

• ^ That reminds me of the icons used by Virtualbox to identify Windows OS versions. Personally I think that the original "flag" logo from 1991 should be revived.

And at the same time, the classic theme should definitely return. After using the hack to restore it in 2012 R2, I found that it works very well with DWM, lacking the sluggishness it gained after it started using software-accelerated GDI+ in Windows XP.

• Actually you can attribute the flat design to the Zune, which carried over to 8.X and ultimately flattened further in 10.

But yeah we have Nadella and his cronies to blame for the non-qc'd, forced broken mess of Windows 10.

• @win32 said:
    Personally I think that the original "flag" logo from 1991 should be revived.

That logo was introduced in 1992 and discontinued in 2001.
    However, I agree with you!

• edited January 2020

@win32 said:
    ^ That reminds me of the icons used by Virtualbox to identify Windows OS versions.

Wasn't my intention :P

Also, personally speaking, I'm surprised that for all the bullshit they've been doing since the OS showed its ugly face all these years ago, that they haven't been in trouble for abusing their power especially in terms of business. I mean, the thing they've been doing with GWX and forcing people to use Edge only goes against professionalism and ethics in the IT industry if you ask me.

• edited January 2020

Well, they didn't get punished badly when they forced IE into Windows.

But yeah, I dumped Windows 10 (Enterprise LTSC) a few weeks ago. I installed 2012 R2 Standard in its place and I noted a general improvement in usability, especially with regards to S4 Sleep.

In Windows 10, I got a "fast boot" sequence when I returned from sleep, then the computer would return to sleep a minute later; the second try wouldn't have the latter problem. In 2012 R2 (basically 8.1), I go straight to the lock screen when returning from sleep. And this is with a laptop that doesn't officially support anything other than Windows 10.

• Offtopic

Welcome to the 2012R2 club. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Especially being one of the last Microsoft operating systems to undergo a proper quality control.

Do note, 2012R2 does have some differences from 8.1. Notably, start screen is a little more Win32-ey than 8.1. For instance proper Win32 context menus on the tiles rather than 8.1's bottom menu. Threw me off when I ran Win8.1 on another computer. You'll have a bit of problem if you have any bluetooth, 2012R2 is finicky if you ever manage to get a bluetooth stack to install.

• @yourepicfailure said:
    Offtopic

Welcome to the 2012R2 club. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Especially being one of the last Microsoft operating systems to undergo a proper quality control.

Do note, 2012R2 does have some differences from 8.1. Notably, start screen is a little more Win32-ey than 8.1. For instance proper Win32 context menus on the tiles rather than 8.1's bottom menu. Threw me off when I ran Win8.1 on another computer. You'll have a bit of problem if you have any bluetooth, 2012R2 is finicky if you ever manage to get a bluetooth stack to install.

I might join the 2012 R2 club soon. I have a server running 2008 R2 that I should probably upgrade.

• @yourepicfailure said:

I'm guessing you're talking about Windows 8.1 before Update 1... after Update 1 it's the same as 2012 R2.

1. Why can't you just download Rufus to create a Windows installation USB?
    2. Who still listening to music with a CD? Nowadays you can listen to music online.
  • edited January 2020

@Xiao Ling said:
    1. Why can't you just download Rufus to create a Windows installation USB?
    2. Who still listening to music with a CD? Nowadays you can listen to music online.

1. Don't know
    2. Those who don't want to lose their music when the Internet goes out (or when the artist/label decides to pull it from streaming), and those who care about sound quality. I have a few hundred CDs and LPs for both of those reasons.
  • @nick99nack said:
    2. Those who don't want to lose their music when the Internet goes out (or when the artist/label decides to pull it from streaming), and those who care about sound quality. I have a few hundred CDs and LPs for both of those reasons.

Please someone give me a non-sketchy, DRM-free way to buy FLAC versions of songs... Give me that and I might actually pirate music less.

Actually it's funny, I used to have maybe 1 legit, purchased CD of music. Everything else was pirated. But now I've purchased several different CDs because I was trying to hunt down some specific songs and all my avenues for piracy were failing me. So I was forced to buy the CD and rip it to FLAC myself. And there was at least one case where the only version of the album I could find was 128 Kbps MP3, so I was forced to buy the CD to get better quality.

• @BlueSun said:

@nick99nack said:

Please someone give me a non-sketchy, DRM-free way to buy FLAC versions of songs... Give me that and I might actually pirate music less.

There are a few. Many of them cater to hi-res fans, but 7digital has standard CD-quality stuff too. The main problem with them is that many times you can't tell who mastered it or what source it's from (it's never been an mp3, though).

Most of what I've purchased has been on HDTracks during one of their many sales. 7digital might be your best bet for individual tracks.

https://us.7digital.com/

https://hdtracks.com/
    https://prostudiomasters.com/
    https://store.acousticsounds.com/cat/365/Digital_Download