Windows 1.0 1.01

edited January 2019 in Product Comments

imageWindows 1.0 1.01

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edited January 2019

Their is Windows Version TC 1.00 is OEM version of Windows 1.01 produced by Tulip Computers in early 1986. A final (slightly modified due incorrect format(s)) converted version, based on a two-disk update set which converted their previous release Windows 1.xx.

• There is a beta version available called "Windows 1.xx". Wondering if that will be available here any time soon.

• I hope so too. Windows 1.xx between Premiere Edition and the Final Edition.

• As you know, Microsoft did a take on making a Windows 1.01 computer simulation horror game called Windows 1.11. Yes, it is available on the Microsoft Store of Windows 10 and you can download it as a Metro application game.

• Is there a setup file for this version that contains the IBM PS/2 Mouse? Because I need to choose always the option "No Pointing Device"

• There's modified copies online with the PS/2 mouse driver added from later versions. You can also add it yourself or use the IBM PS/2 OEM of 1.04, which has it standard.

• Thanks, I have found a modified copy, right on this safe site: https://vetusware.com/download/Windows 1.01 with PS2 mouse support 1.01/?id=8859

• Because just dropping in the Windows 2 mouse driver is too damn hard apparently.

• You can drop a Windows 1.04 IBM OEM PS/2 mouse driver into pretty much every single final version of Windows 1.x with a proper installer. The result will be better than with 2.0 driver, as it works the same and has a proper name.

• Well, I have found my own way to drop the Windows 2 mouse driver into the Windows 1 setup disk, and it works without any problem. Thanks anyways for helping me out!

• I can't stop imagining what would happen if Windows 1.x was an operating system instead of being an application just for the GUI.

• Windows was intended to be ported to other OSes. Had Atari chosen to pay for MS to port Windows to the 68000 for the ST, there would have had to been some new OS underlying Windows. Atari instead went for Digital Research which had code for the 68000 even if only in a rudimentary state.

• @MiroslavRD said:
    As you know, Microsoft did a take on making a Windows 1.01 computer simulation horror game called Windows 1.11. Yes, it is available on the Microsoft Store of Windows 10 and you can download it as a Metro application game.

Sadly the game got deleted. And I can't download it from Microsoft Store.

• edited May 2020

The earliest build of Windows 1.0 (Older than DR5) looked like VisiCorp's Visi On Applications Manager. (I know that Windows 1.0/2.0 is based off of VisiCorp Visi On)

• edited May 2020

Visi On did influence Microsoft to developed Microsoft Windows 1.0 because Bill Gates saw early prototype Visi On Microsoft did not nothing like that at time. He back to Microsoft came up with Interface Manager. Interface Manager mostly based on Microsoft Multiplan and Word for DOS. Later versions Multiplan did include Run Command like in Interface Manager. I theory that Interface Manager based on Microsoft Multiplan than VisiCorp Visi On but Similar. Microsoft was make MS-DOS 2.00 Multiplan like Shell Microsoft scrap that idea. Multiplan like Shell went to Xenix. VisOn Application Manager did have Menu Bottom Screen like Interface Manager.

• @Netcliff said:
    The earliest build of Windows 1.0 (Older than DR5) looked like VisiCorp's Visi On Applications Manager. (I know that Windows 1.0/2.0 is based off of VisiCorp Visi On)

The earliest demo shown in BYTE does share a similar looking command list at the bottom of the screen with Visi On, but that was already used by Microsoft Multiplan in 1982, before there were any public demos of Visi On. And it appears the person involved in the development of this UI was Charles Simonyi, who came to Microsoft from PARC in 1981.

So I wouldn't say it's "based off Visi On", since this particular UI was designed independently, and it was later redesigned with more Mac-like elements before Comdex 83 anyway.

• are there any scans of the windows 1.0 user guide?
  • How to install Windows 1.01 on MS-DOS 6.22/7.10?
    When i'm install it on MS-DOS 4.01 this is don't work well
  • The information you need is in the installation instructions: https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-10/101
  • @Register11 Before you start Windows type in SETVER WIN100.BIN 3.34

• edited December 2020
    The "Microsoft Windows 1.01 (5.25-360k)" copy is corrupted. It should be replaced with the proper one.
  • There is nothing wrong with these images. "ToMi", This isn't the first time you have falsely reported problems. Either stop it, or get out.
  • The images are maybe fine, but when the installation completes, it says "missing start-up files", and that does not appear on any other release.
  • You could have at least said that in your post. We can't read your mind. Still, I am not seeing that error anywhere and I assume nobody else does either or they would have reported it by now. You have probably failed to follow the installation directions. Please re-read them. If you still are having problems, you will need to provide a LOT more information about what you are doing and how you did it so that anyone can help you.
  • Windows 1.01 has no problem.
    Also this is considered to install on real IBM PC or PC comparible with DOS 2.x-3.x, not for PC emulator.
    Of course this is installed on emulator just like PCE, PCem, 86box, however, there is no guarantee of operation in the emulator.
  • Apologizing for the drama here. It was my fault, since I was installing it using VirtualBox instead of a proper x86 emulator, and MS-DOS 6.22, without executing the SETVER command.
  • Hello! I'm testing old Microsoft Windows builds. I'm using PCem so I don't have to jump through a billion hoops. I was installing the CompuData OEM (beta). During the last part of setup, it asked for the Write Disk. I checked all the included .img files and the write disk isn't there. Is it ok to use the final 1.01 build write disk? Because there is a missing disk image, that build (CompuData OEM) will need to be I think redumped.
  • @JamesRules2018
    You can use the write disc from 1.01 final. It will install and show up on the desktop, but it will crash when you try to open it.
  • @jonirob Thanks man! So, do you think the CompuData OEM will need to be redumped?
  • @JamesRules2018
    The1.01 (1.xx-1.xy) (CompuData OEM) here is the only known leaked version and is missing the write disc.