NetWare 4.x

edited July 2019 in Product Comments

NetWare 4.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Netware 4.2 seems to be broken; I'm trying to install it in VirtualBox, and it hangs after copying the installation files to the hard disk (this is the case whether I choose a simple or a custom installation).

• Looks like 4.2 works in VMware (Netware 4 is not "officially" supported, but it does install, albeit I don't have a license disk).

• @HeadsetGuy said:
    Netware 4.2 seems to be broken; I'm trying to install it in VirtualBox, and it hangs after copying the installation files to the hard disk (this is the case whether I choose a simple or a custom installation).

I managed to get this version running in Qemu.

• Novel Netware 4.11 CD isn't recognised as an ISO9660 image.

I managed to fix/convert using the iat tool on Ubuntu:

$ iat netware_4.11.iso netware_4.11_fixed.iso
    Iso9660 Analyzer Tool v0.1.3 by Salvatore Santagati
    Licensed under GPL v2 or later

Detect Signature RAW at 2344
    Detect Signature RAW at 4696
    Detect Signature RAW at 7048
    Detect Signature RAW at 9400
    Detect Signature RAW at 11752
    Detect Signature RAW at 14104
    Detect Signature RAW at 16456
    Detect Signature RAW at 18808
    Detect Signature RAW at 21160
    Detect Signature RAW at 23512
    Detect Signature RAW at 25864
    Detect Signature RAW at 28216
    Detect Signature RAW at 30568
    Detect Signature RAW at 32920
    Detect Signature RAW at 35272
    Detect Signature RAW at 37624
    Detect Signature ISO9660 START at 37648
    Detect Signature RAW at 39976
    Detect Signature ISO9660 END at 40000

Image offset start at 0
    Sector header 16 bit
    Sector ECC 288 bit
    Block 2352

Done

The new image ceated is now recognised by Qemu.

• Not sure if relevant here but. Downloaded the Netware 4.11 iso from this site, extracted to installable cdrom. Under DOS 6.22 the install starts and then fails after approximately 60% through the file copy process to the \nwserver directory. Do I need to extract this image in some particular way? This is strictly through an MSDOS environment on an IBM 300 PL utilizing a Pentium 3 cpu. Thank you in advance.

• Repackaged the 4.11 ISO, give it another try now.

• There is a NetWare 4.2 100-user license ISO at https://archive.org/details/novell-net-ware-4.2.
  • Is there a link for the 4.11 license disk?
  • I'm not too familiar with these versions of Netware, is a license disk something that would have been provided alongside a CD-ROM? If there wasn't a floppy image in the 7z package, then I don't believe we ever had one.

Were these disks copy protected?
  • CDs were all the same. The separate diskette containing the single encrypted file "SERVER.MLS" controlled number of users for a given license.

I feel bad because once upon a time I had squirrelled away literally thousands of legit seats of 3.12 and 4.1 - and they are all gone now. :(
  • Ok, added a note about this in the product description.