Windows Nashville Build 999

edited June 2018 in Product Comments

Windows Nashville Build 999

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• There was also a build 1056, which was leaked by someone on BetaArchive back in 2014, but it's probably not 100% real. Build 999 is pretty much the only "real" build for Windows Nashville.

• Build 1056 is just a Plus! pack based around Nashville's features.

• yes, how exactly do i install? rebooting just left the vm on a black screen with a blinking gray line.

• Please correct installation instructions. I can't get upgrade from Windows 95 OSR2, I'm upgrading it from Windows 3.1.

• edited June 2019

Nashville installs easily as an upgrade from Windows 95 OSR2 in PCem, but it will not upgrade if Windows 95 is installed on a FAT32 partition.

• Thanks for clarifying this. Nashville does not support FAT32. Updated the entry.

• Can you please make the instructions more clear? I have no idea how to run the setup on Windows 3.1. I want to use Windows 3.1 Because I experience problems on Windows 95.

• @val123039 said:
    Can you please make the instructions more clear? I have no idea how to run the setup on Windows 3.1. I want to use Windows 3.1 Because I experience problems on Windows 95.

You'll need cd-rom support in Windows 3.1 (use ms-dos 6.22 with cd-rom support), then run setup from your D drive.

• @jonirob said:

@val123039 said:
    Can you please make the instructions more clear? I have no idea how to run the setup on Windows 3.1. I want to use Windows 3.1 Because I experience problems on Windows 95.

You'll need cd-rom support in Windows 3.1 (use ms-dos 6.22 with cd-rom support), then run setup from your D drive.

Thanks, it worked finally! I really appreciate the help.

• @val123039 You're welcome.

• Everytime I boot up Windows "96" after installing it I get a protection error. Is there a way to fix this error?

• I've never tried running it, I'm not really that interested in old versions of windows that didn't get released, unless they add something special, like Windows 2000 RC1 for DEC Alpha.

That being said, if the code is very similar to windows 95 code, which I bet that it is, it could have issues with processors that are too fast. Later version of windows 95 had a patch for this. I have no idea if it's that's the same issue, but it's worth a look.

• If it's in a VM (and either of the following conditions apply to the host), 350+ MHz AMD machine or 1.7+ GHz Intel machine, then it's probably the same race condition as Windows 95. Try the win95 CPU patch as it's supposed to work with all versions of the OS.

• @win32 said:
    If it's in a VM (and either of the following conditions apply to the host), 350+ MHz AMD machine or 1.7+ GHz Intel machine, then it's probably the same race condition as Windows 95. Try the win95 CPU patch as it's supposed to work with all versions of the OS.

I tried it, but the problem persists.

• Then you want to run this in an emulator.

• @DeFacto said:
    Then you want to run this in an emulator.

I'm doing exactly that on VirtualBox.

• @Netcliff said:

VirtualBox is a hypervisor, not emulator. You should use something that emulates classic hardware like PCem or 86box.

• @win32 said:

@Netcliff said:

VirtualBox is a hypervisor, not emulator. You should use something that emulates classic hardware like PCem or 86box.

Where can I get x86box then?

• edited April 2020

Typing "86box" into a search engine is the preferred method but here it is anyway:

https://86box.github.io/

Note: OS requirement is wrong. It runs on Windows XP.

• @win32 said:
    Typing "86box" into a search engine is the preferred method but here it is anyway:

https://86box.github.io/

O.K. Thanks!

• edited April 2020

@win32 said:

Official builds haven't supported XP for a while now, so no, it's not wrong. Build 1844 from September 20th 2019 is the first that no longer works on XP, because it uses a Windows 7 API call for grouping taskbar buttons. Later builds also call GetTickCount64, which is a Vista+ API call.

• ls this an upgraded version?
  • @WindowsEmbedded
    Yes, upgrade from Windows 3.1 or Windows 95.
  • Is there a product key for this? and if so, what is it?
  • edited November 2021
    @helloisthispizzahut
    Nashville doesn't require a product key.
  • I Can Confirm Windows Nashville didn't need a product key, Windows Nashville Was released early in development, By the way Development is the reason because it doesn't need a product Key/Serial. You can run this for free in PCem/86box
  • its either Windows 96 (like said) opr This Could Be The Missing OSR 3.
  • Nashville doesn't support FAT32 as of fdisk.exe