Clueless Newbee // Please Advise And Direct

Just registered in the past day or two; searched about fifty different messages; head is still holding zero knowledge.

I am hoping that someone can (and will) direct me to the place where I can read how to get the files out of a "*.img" (no quotes, the asterisk is a generic name) file and into my desired folder (or sub-directory; whatever you want to call it).

The following programs will not do this for me...

• WinZip
  • AnyBurn
  • 7zip
  • ImgBurn

Nor anything else I've tried.

I will go into further detail and answer questions to help clarify this when I locate the right place for the discussion.

For now, can someone please direct me to the proper place to ask this question ?

Comments

• are these DOS floppy images? If so, try winimage. 7zip will usually work too. If they are very old disks there might be some other things you must do first.

• Yes, they are way old, circa 1980-Something, maybe as late as 1992.

I will start searching for "WinImage" now. If you want to post a link for me, do it.

And thanks for the direction

• edited June 2020

If you run into weirdness with floppies that were for used with versions of DOS older than 3, there are some posts somewhere from @SomeGuy that talks about imaging software like winimage not liking older disks/images because they are missing the BIOS parameter block. He had instructions on how to fix them with a hex editor. I was able to use his instructions on an old AST driver disk and some Wordstar disks to allow winimage to let me extract the files.

• I am confident that this was 1987 or later.

Continue with any advice or direction. You are helping me.

I tried burning a CD-Rom with whatever it was.

No matter what package I used, they always produced a file which was 4096 bytes long and that was it.

I looked into the "*.img" files with my text editor, and I can see that all the stuff I want is indeed encoded into those two images; I forget the size, but I'm guessing that the two files were several hundred Kilobytes each. Give me a minute and I'll look up the exact numbers.

• Is the img likely to contain confidential info, or would you be able to post it here or somewhere else so that we could look it it?

Normally I can just open an img with winimage and see all of the files or the same with 7zip, but 7zip requires you to open the file manually, right click and choose open archive.

• Okay, the .img file is exactly 360K

(Decimal: 368,640 bytes)

The tail end of the image is filled with a bunch of 0F6h bytes

And large blocks of 0F6h bytes appear elsewhere in the file.

I see the stuff I want in there; including "SETUP.BAT"

I don't care about a perfect disk image.

What I care about is the files themselves; e.g., I want that "SETUP.BAT" file to actually execute its contents for me.

I'm looking at WinImage now, no clue if it will do that for me.

• @jafir said:
    Is the img likely to contain confidential info, or would you be able to post it here or somewhere else so that we could look it it?

Not at all.

I downloaded it from this site.

Normally I can just open an img with winimage and see all of the files or the same with 7zip, but 7zip requires you to open the file manually, right click and choose open archive.

When I've tried 7zip, a Nero window somehow magically appears on my screen and starts demanding my E-Mail address.

I will try the method you just described.

• Okay, just tried 7zip

His response: "Cannot open file C:\etc\etc\etc\disk01.img"

• Install WinImage, and make sure WinImage is associated with the .IMG file type.

I do not recommend opening IMG files or ISOs with archival tools like WinZip, 7Zip, or WinRAR as those are not really designed for such things and mess up all the time (commonly, they will open a setup CAB or Zip file that exists inside a disk image and will totally fail to show you the actual content you are looking for)

• Thanks folks.

I think that the "Extrac" (perhaps, "Extract" ?) app from his site has fixed the quandary for me.

Tangent here; can I get in touch with the Head Honcho(s?) of WinWorldPC ?

I want to know more about this site and its generally prevalent gang; and want to make sure my concepts of good and bad are similar to management's here.

Thanks for any clues; public or private response is fine.

The biggy: Thank you for your advice and direction. It worked.