Windows 95 RTM

Comments

• Can you upload a Win95 on 5,25 inch floppies version?

• @1040ST

5.25" media type of Windows 95 is uploaded as Retail Upgrade (Not Retail Full) on WW.

Remeber that 5.25" media type was Not released as Retail Package.
    It was available via Microsoft Mail Order.

• Sorry, mate.
    HOWEVER...
    You MAY be able to put a 3.5 image on a 5.25 disk.
    No guarantees though.

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:
    Sorry, mate.
    HOWEVER...
    You MAY be able to put a 3.5 image on a 5.25 disk.
    No guarantees though.

Probably not. 3.5" Hi-Density images are 1.44mb and 5.25" disks are only 1.2mb. However, if you do come across 3.5" 720K images, those would fit on 5.25" disks.

• edited November 2017

Do you have windows 95 polish on flopy disks?

• Windows 95 [Arabic] is OSR1
    Windows 95 [Danish] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Danish] (OEM) (ISO) is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Dutch] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Finnish] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [French] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [French] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Greek] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Hebrew] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Hebrew] is 4.00.950 r-7 Prerelease
    Windows 95 [Hungarian] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Norwegian] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Polish] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Portuguese-Brazil] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Portuguese] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Russian] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Simpl. Chinese] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Spanish] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Swedish] is RTM Upgrade
    Windows 95 [Trad. Chinese] is RTM Upgrade

check before posting ?!

• edited November 2017

At one point when I upgrade to 95 the after clicking on continue there a message saying compressed disk. I ignored the message.

P.S. I upgraded from Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (https://winworldpc.com/product/windows-3/wfw-311)

P.P.S. Further detail, I used the Windows 95 Retail Upgrade disk.

• Fun fact: The "Select Your Time Zone" feature was removed in Windows 95 RTM due to a border dispute in India. Therefore, you would have to use Windows 95 OSR2 or OSR1 in India.

• Yep, that was why it did not allow clicking the map on OSRs and Windows NT 4.0.

• ¿Someone have the Upgrade iso with extra stuff in spanish?

• i have spanish microsoft plus, if u want it :)

• First link "Windows 95 (3.5-1.44mb)" is for upgrading

• @dyosoft said:
    First link "Windows 95 (3.5-1.44mb)" is for upgrading

It seems to operate fine as a full install due to the presence of a MSBATCH files.

• edited April 2019

This is the "Windows 95 Version Upgrade", part number 654-00212. Looking up that number, it seems to be RTM with IE4. Apparently it can also upgrade OS/2 version 2.0 and later (considering the installer runs in WIN-OS/2)

https://web.archive.org/web/20001007234128/http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/display.asp?site=426&subid=22&pg=8

I also noticed that the timestamps on the RTM CD-ROM files are set to 9:50 am. Nice touch!

• edited May 2020

I have an oem version of Windows 95 RTM, if you want ! ( in french )

• I found a license key which is 420-0069420. Thank me later. If it doesn't work then please quote me with why it didn't work.

• I installed the OEM on MS-DOS 6.22, and am getting the "Windows protection error." error. I heard it's something about the CPU, but I'm a newbie when it comes to computers, so I don't know EXACTLY how to fix it. Also, I don't want to use external software. Help please.
  • If you're doing this in a hypervisor such as VirtualBox or on a real machine with a too fast CPU, you need to apply LoneCrusader's CPU patch before the second stage of setup starts (after reboot).
  • You saw that I don't want to use external software, right?
  • edited August 2020
    Then you won't be able to fix this without using an emulator or a real machine with a slow enough CPU. Unless you want to apply all the relevant fixes and mods yourself, in which case good luck.
  • edited August 2020
    If anybody wants a pre-installed Windows 95 installation (OEM RTM full) on a VMDK file, visit my website (which is linked on my profile). Also includes 32-bit color driver included on another VMDK file linked on the website.

Also this includes the fast CPU patch because my laptop is fast (e.g: hangs at 4%)
  • @msdos6000 can you have a pre-installed Windows 95 OSR 2.5 or at least OSR2.1? Not RTM.
  • edited August 2020
    @xpclient
    Oh okay. I'll upload OSR 2.5 and OSR 2.1 - might take a bit of time
  • Whoever left that VM is very helpful out there. Thanks.
  • When I installed the Japanese version on VirtualBox (I have MS-Dos 6.22 installed), I got stuck on a screen with Japanese letters.
  • Duuh, if you can't read Japanese then don't install a Japanese version.
  • I wanted to install it just to find the hana256 wallpaper (which I already found by extracting the hard disk with 7zip).
  • Why does the 3.5" floppy version has a MSBATCH.INF containing ProductType=1 from 1995, 09:50, it looks like its not the consumer retail version but a special retail copy
  • That set has no photos/scans with it, so it may not be genuine.

In fact, I am not certain Microsoft sold 1.44mb Windows floppy sets retail. It very well may actually be an OEM version. Some OEMs fudged stuff badly/weirdly, especially with pre-install media.
  • "In fact, I am not certain Microsoft sold 1.44mb Windows floppy sets retail."
    Only cost a couple hunnerd to find out:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-95-3-5-Floppy-Retail-Copy-Sealed-Box/373021397049?epid=127887579&hash=item56d9ced039:g:1NcAAOSwAx1fVDwd

"For PCs Without Windows"