MS-DOS 3.20

edited September 2019 in Product Comments

MS-DOS 3.20

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• OEMs here, nothing else.

• edited September 2019

That's because there wasn't a retail MS-DOS until version 5. There were Microsoft boxed versions of 3.3 and 4.0, but even those says that it's for distribution with a new PC.

• While it was for OEMs, the MS duplicated sets were easy to get. That was about the only way to acquire an upgrade. Fortunately, grey market OEM surplus boxes were quite cheap. Wound up having to pick up DOS 4.01 that way because my sales rep wasn't responsive.

• Microsoft began to distribute MS-DOS with MS Genuine from version 3.20.
    Yes but they didn't be released as Retail package before version 5.0 upgrate released.

• I recently picked up a copy of 4.01C new in the box, but of course I had to open it and image the disks and start scanning the manual.

• Need Compaq DOS 3.20, Franklin MS-DOS 3.2, Grid MS-DOS 3.2, Hyundai MS-DOS 3.2, Leading Edge MS-DOS, and Packard Bell MS-DOS 3.2 on the list.
  • edited March 2021
    Vetusware has Compaq DOS 3.20. Can't verify if it is genuine though.
    https://vetusware.com/download/Compaq DOS 3.20/?id=14825
  • Original MS Genuine DOS 3.20 is the only version is Not compatible with original IBM PC 5150 (Rev.1 BIOS 04/24/1981 and Rev.2 BIOS 10/19/1981).
    Of course, this problem was fixed on 3.21.
  • @jafir

Yes, that's right.
    A la carte retail packages started at 5.00.
    Prior to that, Microsoft did not allow selling as a retail unit package, and was necessarily sold with a new PC.
    That was the licensing policy and would have been prosecuted if sold separately.

There are 2 MS-DOS diskettes sold on eBay that are at least version 3.21, not 3.20.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/166124799143