Windows 2000 Beta 3

edited August 2018 in Product Comments

Windows 2000 Beta 3

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edited August 2018

I tested build 2031.1 Professional and it's 1946 with a "setup.exe" version that's labelled as 2031. There's even an "info.txt" readme that states it is 1946, and only the folders from the root directory of the ISO has changed, the rest still uses the build 1946 version. Can someone remove or rename it?

• Did you install this Windows and did you have a look in System Properties for Build Number?

• edited August 2018

I really did. Here is the result of installing the "2031.1 Professional" including the setup file from the 2031 ISO.

• edited August 2018

Can you check the modified date for setup.exe and compare with the others? If they are different, this could have been tampered with.

EDIT: Clarification: the setup.exe on the ISO/floppies

• Here is what the root directory and the i386 directory looks like.

• edited August 2018

The dates seem fine. Try trawling through SETUP.exe with a hex editor and see what you find.

I have a strong suspicion someone's tampered with this.

• Another option is to google the sums.
    Get the tools "md5sum" and "sha256sum", there are versions for windows, linux and dos.
    Do this:
    "md5sum file.iso"
    "sha256sum file.iso"
    and feed the output to google.
    Maybe someone else did this job already and maybe this leads to answers.

• edited August 2018

Build 1946 MD5 checksum: 5DA0C55C8CC27626702DE603410FA0C7
    TCB (The Collection Book) build 2031 MD5 checksum: 558FC4A08974ECD99443937D28A031FE
    WinWorld build 2031 MD5 checksum: 1701AB055E1B47E46B9F0973AC10C6F5

Yep, definitely modified.

• Fakes will happen. I don’t think this part of the archive has been checked in a while.

• There is a big problem with these ISO's. I keep getting the "Guru Mediation" error when I run the VM, and the Guru Mediation error will appear when the text "Setup is starting Windows 2000" is on the setup screen. I am using Virtualbox 5.2.

• Guru meditations aren't a windows thing. Would that be on the host? If so, whatever it is may not take well to VBox 5.2. I've had significant stability issues with VirtualBox on Windows 7 recently as well.

• That happens to me, too. I always get a "Guru Meditation" crash whenever I try to install Windows 2000 betas (NT 5.0) in VirtualBox. It also happens with Windows Neptune Build 5111.

@win32 said:
    Guru meditations aren't a windows thing. Would that be on the host? If so, whatever it is may not take well to VBox 5.2. I've had significant stability issues with VirtualBox on Windows 7 recently as well.

Yes, those crashes do happen on the host, but it just happens when a critical error has occurred during the virtual machine execution. It may happen if there's issues with memory and stuff like that. Doesn't affect the host, though.

• I keep getting crashes from the guest machine in virtual box but not a guru meditation

• edited August 2019

I have a suspicion that some of these builds might be fake.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    The dates seem fine. Try trawling through SETUP.exe with a hex editor and see what you find.

I have a strong suspicion someone's tampered with this.

Either someone indeed has tampered with the builds or these are just fake.

• @BF10 said:
    Build 1946 MD5 checksum: 5DA0C55C8CC27626702DE603410FA0C7
    TCB (The Collection Book) build 2031 MD5 checksum: 558FC4A08974ECD99443937D28A031FE
    WinWorld build 2031 MD5 checksum: 1701AB055E1B47E46B9F0973AC10C6F5

Yep, definitely modified.

I've got an original CD of this version, and when I made an ISO with winimage I get none of those MD5. Perhaps I need to use different ISO software.

• We normally recommend ImgBurn, but CD contents can vary.

• Does anybody know how to get sound on build 5.00.1946.1?
  • Build 1946.1: Beta 3 RC0
    Build 2000.3: Beta 3 RC1 (also for Alpha)
    Build 2031.1: Beta 3 (also for Alpha and PC-98, PC-98 version unleaked)
  • Any idea how to run this on VirtualBox? I keep getting the Guru Meditation error.
    Here's my config.

RAM: 168
    Video Memory: 16
    Bus Controller: BusLogic (SCSI)
    Harddisk Drive space: 4GB
    ISO: Windows 2000 Server ("NT 5.0" 5.00.2031.1 Server B3)

Any solutions?
  • @Koshgnintan
    Install it in 86Box.
  • edited September 2020
    @Koshgnintan
    I don't have my main laptop right now, but try changing SCSI to IDE, and 256MB of RAM is okay. As of the hard disk space, 8GB or 4GB is okay. 512GB is a bit overkill but can be run, and 1TB is way too overkill. Most HDDs don't have 1TB or 2TB yet. As for the drivers, I don't think there are any drivers maybe you can run this driver here: https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbe9x.htm for good graphics.
    But, I'm not sure at all. I don't have my main laptop, so I can't test it.

EDIT: Fixed grammar.
  • @Lollipop
    I tried, but the error keeps appearing.

@jonirob
    By the way, what config should I have, and most importantly, what hard disk space should I have for 86box?
  • edited September 2020
    @Koshgnintan

Machine: [Socket 7 VX] Epox P55-VA
    CPU: Intel Pentium 100/50
    Memory: 128 MB
    Display: [PCI] Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM (S3 Vision964)
    Mouse: Standard PS/2
    Sound: [ISA] Sound Blaster 16
    Network: SLiRP Adapter [PCI] Realtek RTL8029AS
    Hard Disk: IDE (0.0) Sectors 63 Heads 16 Cylinders 4896
    CD-ROM: ATAPI (0.1)

Set BIOS date to 27th April 1999.

• @jonirob
    I can't change the BIOS date, it just keeps resetting to today's date.
  • @Koshgnintan

In Settings, Machine, Time Synchronisation, click Disabled.
  • @jonirob
    Ok, but. Any idea how to run the setup? The BIOS asks, me to insert a boot diskette. I insert the Windows 98 boot diskette, then go to the D drive, I open SETUP.EXE but it tells me that I can't run it on DOS mode.
  • @Koshgnintan

VirtualBox, PCem problems:

SETUP problem:
    The SETUP.EXE is likely for a already installed NT version. These are graphical applications and therefore are just like "This program requires Microsoft Windows".
    Maybe boot from the CD.

Problem to run VirtualBox:
    Okay. Type "date" in Windows 98 boot disk and set the date to the date said by jonirob. Try booting from it and it might fix your issue.
  • edited September 2020
    @Koshgnintan

NT 5.0 5.00.2031.1 Server B3 is bootable.
    You need to go into BIOS, Bios Features Setup, Boot Sequence change it to CDROM,C,A.
    Save and boot straight into the CDROM.
  • edited September 2020
    @jonirob

Thanks! It works great. I've installed Microsoft 3D Movie Maker on it.