The software of windows NT 3.1, 3.5, 3.51 and 4.0, is possible to install in windows 95 and 98?

Yes, i know, i asked a question like this, but i have software of windows NT 4.0, and i wanna know if i can install it in win 98 or 95, i like NT(until the version 4.0) but i don't know if is possible install programs of NT on 9X

Comments

• The vast majority of application software at the time was designed for Windows 95 and Windows 98, and was also designed to be compatible with Windows NT 4 (i386 version).

Remember, Windows 95 and 98 were the more common desktops operating systems at the time. Windows NT was primarily used on high-end workstations and servers.

(Conversely, as you asked, if an application program runs on NT 4 or 3.51, it will probably run on 95/98/ME)

There are a few exceptions, of course. Any system level program that requires a .VXD/.386 driver will not run on NT. A program that makes use of NT specific APIs, such as NT network control stuff, will not run on 9x.

Both Win9x and NT support running well behaved Windows 3.1 16-bit applications. Some vendors chose just to stick with that.

• edited August 2020
    Like SomeGuy said, most "regular" programs (meaning no drivers and such) should work. The Win32 API in Windows 9x is a subset of the one from NT.
  • edited September 2020
    I remember when I was development, we had to combat DLL hell that all of these OS's are effected by.