NCSA Mosaic 1

edited September 2020 in Product Comments
imageNCSA Mosaic 1

First released in 1993, NCSA Mosaic was the first really popular web browser. Unlike the original browser, WorldWideWeb on NeXT, Mosaic was available for the Microsoft Windows platform and added features such as inline graphics viewing. It was developed by the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign. NCSA Mosaic was distributed freely for non commercial use, but required a license for commercial business use. It was licensed by a number of third party OEMs, including Microsoft, who used it for the basis of Microsoft Internet Explorer. In 1995, its popularly quickly gave way to Netscape Navigator.

Read the full story here

Comments

• edited September 2020
    I thought the first web browser was WorldWideWeb.
  • Quite right. Updated and expanded the product description.
  • It says it was first released in 1983... I'm guessing that's a typo if WorldWideWeb wasn't written until 1990. Also it says, "Mosaic was available for the Microsoft Windows" which is a grammatical error. Did you mean "the Microsoft Windows platform" or just "for Microsoft Windows?"
  • Alright, alright, fixed my fat fingering.

BTW, I've seen various OEM Mosaic packages on eBay but I'm uncertain if NCSA even made their own non-OEM releases on physical media.
  • @Koshgnintan WorldWideWeb WAS the first web browser, NCSA Mosaic was the first POPULAR web browser.
  • NCSA Mosaic 1.0 running on Windows for Workgroups 3.11 in 86Box.

Not a pretty sight, but at least it works!