PC-DOS 2000

edited January 2018 in Product Comments

PC-DOS 2000

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PC-DOS eh? Well why does it have a CD when dos did not have CD drivers!

• @AlbertTheMan said:
    PC-DOS eh? Well why does it have a CD when dos did not have CD drivers!

CD drivers became available after some time

• @AlbertTheMan said:

Pretty sure MS-DOS 7.1 came with CD drivers.

• @Scratch137 said:

@AlbertTheMan said:

Pretty sure MS-DOS 7.1 came with CD drivers.

MS-DOS 7.1 was not available as seperate DOS. It came with Win95 and 98. But there came no DOS-CD drivers along with it. Thats wrong.

• Wrong? Ok wiseguy, WHICH CD driver should they have bundled with Windows 95? IDE? SCSI? MKE? Parallel port? One of the other misc standards? And for which drive? Many only supported specific models. If you were support at Microsoft would you have been able to guarantee the drivers would work in all possible combinations? It wasn't even until a bit after 98 that IDE CDs really became a firm enough standard that an OS could rely on it.

Even the protected mode drivers bundled with 95 gave me headaches when it was new. New CD drives had to start conforming to MS standards or people would return them as defective, but the older drives didn't go anywhere too fast.

And then SATA came along and ruined that standard.

• edited November 2018

Windows 95 brought Windows drivers, no DOS drivers.

//edit: And if someone thinks about those OAKCDROM.SYS,etc ... drivers, they were on install floppies and not meant to be used on the installed system. They weren't copied/installed to config.sys
    MS didn't provide them, it was up to the OEM to supply the proper driver for his system on bootdisk.

• @AlbertTheMan said:

MSCDEX.EXE existed since MS-DOS 3.1

• Is that CD ISO bootable?
    If yes,is this DOS better or worse,than MS DOS 7.1 CDU for attempt to create a Windows 3.x Live CD?
  • One interesting thing about this CD version is that, in the English version, all the dates on the files show 12-24-96 10:32p, whereas, inside the disk images and on the zipped downloadable copy I bought years ago, the file dates show 04-30-98 1:00p. These dates are also shown on the unpacked DOS files from setting up the OS.

I did a binary comparison of those and the ones from my own purchased copy and they all seem to be identical.

Actually, according to ISOBuster, the creation date on the CD shows 1/21/2009 3:39:50.

Anyone know what the date/time stamp discrepancy means? Doesn't hurt anything, since all the files seem to be correct. Just curious.
  • Date-time is used as a kind of build-level. "replace if older" sort of thing.

7 and 2000 should differ on some 30 files, like acalc.exe and whatever there is a fix for 7 for.

I have a version of 6.30 that differs by about a month, and includes the first fix. Likewise, an MS-DOS 6.20 I have two versions that differ by a day.
  • I know this is a few months late.
    I always thought it could be one of two or more things.
    1) The application used to zip the the files destroyed the date/time stamp.
    2) The user changed all the dates before zipping the files up. (seems unlikely)
    If you check many of the abandonware sites you will see this date all over the place on the files.
    This is unfortunate because you lose the original real date of all the files.