[OFFER: Ashton-Tate Framework IV 1.0]

*Ashton-Tate Framework IV 1.0

Year: 1991
media: 5.25" , 20 x 360k

It's not a dump of original floppies, but still a complete installation copy. Framework IV is the last version released by Ashton-Tate.
https://yadi.sk/d/pP-yTW6yLgs3Mw

Comments

• Thanks very much. I’m not sur to understand, How were the .IMZ files created if not from original floppies?
    By the way Framework IV was no the last one, Framework X is. I have version IX installed on one of my PC.
  • It's simple. Each disk of Framework IV has been stored as a separate zip archive. I just created 20 empty 360k floppy images, copied contents of each disk to it's appropriate image and restored floppy labels. Then I tested all in the emulator and ensured it installs and works properly.

I just meant that the version IV is the last one released by Ashton-Tate before it was defunct in 1991 and sold to Borland. I didn't say it's the last Framework version overall.

Also, thank you very much for your great finds (MS Word 1.0 with MS mouse, MS Access 1.0 etc.) ! These apps is a big part of software history. It's always hard to find earliest versions, but here we do our best to preserve as much as possible.
  • edited November 2020
    Wow, nice work ! And this means also it’s not copy protected which is a good news also. I’m still trying to find a french version of Framework IV, I have the whole package except the disks.

Which emulator did you use ? I made some dumps of Framework III disks that I want to try.
    I understand your point about this last version before they were acquired by Borland, in this way you’re correct.
  • Framework IV not copy protected. The installer asks for user's data (name, organization, serial number), saves all this information on the System1 floppy and the copy will be personalized this way. A lot of software back then used this method.

I use different emulators depending on a program and it's copy protection. If the application is protected and runs on 808x machines, I usually use PCE (and it's PFI/PSI floppy format), if the app requires 286+, then I run it in 86box/Varcem (86f floppy format) or in DOSBox-TC (i.e. Prolock copy protection is supported only by this emulator).
  • @tarlabnor Thanks for the tips, I tried PCE and although it's not very user friendly, I was able to install and test the Framework III evaluation disks (I will post them soon).
    I also have a version of Framework IX that has a copy protection scheme based on hardware changes (similar to the licensing of Windows XP). When significant changes are made to the hardware, the sofware says it must be registered again. It runs on Windows XP and I wonder what would be the best emulator that would make Framework IX "think" that hardware has not changed, even if you move the container to another machine. Would you have a recommandation ?
  • tarlabnor, does that mean that at one point, you had access to original disks for it? If so, could you tell me if the package was Ashton-Tate or Borland branded?

From what I can tell, at release Framework IV was sold by Ashton-Tate, but shortly after was switched to Borland.

I've seen a Borland branded "Framework IV 1.0" on eBay before, and I'm trying to figure out if the disk content would have had any difference at all.

Supposedly Borland kept updating Framework for quite a while.
  • SomeGuy, I had no original floppies, but I'm pretty sure this version was Ashton-Tate branded. All files are dated May, 1991. The merger with Borland was approved by Ashton-Tate shareholders in September '91, so Borland-branded version couldn't appear before this date anyway.

callmejack, if you run the program on Windows XP, it's better to use a hypervisor, you'll get much better performance comparing to emulators. So you might try VmWare or any similar application.
  • @tarlabnor The problem with an hypervisor (at least under window) is that when you move the virtual machine to another host, which hardware is different, this difference will show up inside the VM and the software will say it needs to register again, which I can do for now but may not be able to do in 5, 10 or 20 years from now. I would like to be able to run this VM on whatever hardware platform in the future, as a conservation means. I would need an emulator that would totally virtualize the host hardware from inside the VM so when I move the VM on a new PC in 2030 I will still be able to run it (given of course the the emulator will still be supported then).
  • @callmejack

You might try to create a Pentium or Pentium II config using 86box. But the main problem is even if you have a very fast host CPU you'll get performance way below 100% of the real system speed. In some 'inconvenient' for the emulator situations don't be surprized to see 15-20-25% speed. But who knows, maybe around 2030 we'll get CPU's fast enough to emulate PII at it's full speed.