alternative version of PC-DOS 5.02

Hi:

back in the mid '90's, I was looking for copies of DOS 5 and I bought a version of PC-DOS 5.02.

Upon looking at the versions here, I find a version of PC-DOS 5.02, where most of the binary files, dated 09/01/1992 are identical, however, the version you have includes edit and qbasic, along with appropriate comments in the readme and appnote files, whereas this version only has edlin.

I still have my disk images which I archived years ago, but, my original book and package were lost due to a housefire in 2007.

Anyone know why this was released?

Comments

• Would you be able to upload it somewhere?

Also, this was probably release for the same reason as MS-DOS 6.00 OEM Base edition (not sure if such releases existed for other MS-DOS versions, though the Scandinavian MSDN versions of MS-DOS 6.22 have OEM Base variants of SETUP.EXE (but no other files) so MS-DOS 6.22 OEM Base probably did exist.
  • I suspect it may have come around as a result of MSFT asking 15$ mechanicals for qbasic. That's a rumour i heard a long time ago. It is strange that it appears in DOS of OS/2 (which was moribound, but IBM had to dig out something for DOS 6.

Would be instering oto see it.
  • The german version of 5.02 on Winworld ia an example of PCDOS 5.02 without QBasic/Edit. It appears much the same as the one at BetaSoftware.