Borland Turbo C 2.x

edited July 2021 in Product Comments

imageBorland Turbo C 2.x

Turbo C is an Integrated Development Environment and compiler for the C programming language from Borland. First introduced in 1987, it was noted for its integrated development environment, small size, fast compile speed, comprehensive manuals and low price. After 2.0 it this product was replaced with Borland Turbo C++. It competed against, Microsoft Quick C and was generally considered faster and more successful.

Read the full story here

Comments

• I've run into a problem with TC 2.01 (for 3.5 inch disks at least) that is also present in an earlier download from another source. The atof function gives a scanf error in V2.01 that does not occur in TC V1.0 or in TC++ V1.01. The first attempt to make a disk from disk2.img using winimage16 failed, but a recopy of the image file was successful. Perhaps there is a corruption in a file or files on this software.
  • At this 3.5" of Turbo C 2.01 is Not dumped from original media correctly.
  • This same issue is happening with the 5.25" images also. So problem is with V2.01 files. Not sure if V2.0 has the problem, but wont be checking; too much time spent on it already.
  • Apparently that is a known issue with Turbo C. Something about linking to the floating point library. Just do a web search for that and it will show you a number of workarounds such as manually including a dummy floating point operation.
  • Ok, replaced Turbo C 2.01 720k with a better copy.
  • Thanks. I tested the V2.0 images afterall, and found no issue with the atof function. So, apparently only an issue with that version.
  • SomeGuy,
    I downloaded and tested the 8/2 update to TC2.01 - sorry, it still has the scanf problem with the atof function. I'll use v2.0 - it doesn't have the problem and wont require workaround. Since this same issue happened with V2.01 from files from another source, then it has to be a legacy issue with that version. Thanks