SunOS 4.x

edited January 2019 in Product Comments

SunOS 4.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Issues:
    SunOS 4.1.2 CD:Kernel:libprom.a:Romvec Version 3
    SunOS 4.1.3 CD:panic:No known machine type configured in!
    SunOS 4.1.4 CD(raw ISO):Not bootable(Solaris 1.1.2 CD is bootable)
    Solaris 2.4 CD:(is ?
  • @xiaolei312 I'm fairly certain that 4.1.4 CD is fine. If memory serves I used it to install on my SPARCclassic a couple of years ago.
  • does 4.0.1 run on IBM PC compatibles? none of the diskettes seem to boot in virtualbox
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun386i

Not certain, but It sounds like the Sun386i platform is not IBM PC compatible. All of the Sun386 floppy disks here are just TAR archives. None have IBM style boot sectors. It could be the firmware in this machine would automatically load TAR archives, like Sun-2 or 3 systems might boot from tape.

It is also possible this disk set it not complete. There is no documentation with it, or even label scans to give us any kind of clue what is what. Some of the file names suggest it might be an "upgrade", which might require an existing Sun386 installation to use.

If anyone can find more information on these, please post it.
  • Are there any instructions on how to run SunOS 4.0.3 on TME?
  • Sun UNIX 4.2 Release 3.5 (Tape) [Sun-2] does not belong here. It belongs to SunOS 3.x since Sun UNIX 4.2 Release 3.5 is SunOS 3.5.
  • Ok, moved. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • A tar archive is commonly understood as an archive made by and opened with tar(1). Likely the floppy disk images are inside. Or the files to put on the boot disk are.