Have anyone worked through these books?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had understood and worked through these books:

1/ Undocumented DOS 2ed A. Schulman 1993
2/ Root Kit Arsenal - 2009 B.Blunden

Is the discussion on these books, code/concepts, banned here?

Should I go somewhere else? Any recommendations?

Regards,
Craig

Comments

• Well, the books are about programming, so I suppose it's okay to converse about them here...
  • I have many years ago when those books were NEW! and just recently as a few months ago. If you know Assembly Language you'll love the books if you don't then it will be more or less GREEK to you!
    I just recently completed a project involving the use of such stuff, That's mostly basic stuff in that book. so if you study very hard and do A LOT of examples while learning you might get to the point you find you like it. I read it like I was born to read it. Natural I am doing something right now that I don't think has ever been done before I am now currently writing Windows programs in Windows 3.0 and 3.1 in complete Assembly Language. and I'm having a Blast doing it!

So if you work at it hard you'll get there if you have the drive to do so!
  • I did asm way back in 1990. And I thought I had a reasonable idea of it. But reading through these books, I didn't have nearly the depth of knowledge that I needed.

I have found that most people like playing with DOS and Win 3.1, but that's it. Very few want to code in that environment.

There are a few ideas that I would like to code, but the learning curve is quite steep.

The other push for me is to *really* understand BSOD's the knowledge needs to be quite deep. Sure you can guess on patterns and commands, but to really know...well that's the goal.
    A lot of the concepts in DOS ended up in Windows, sure there is new stuff, but if you understand past, I think you can understand the new tech in Windows. For example the PSP became the PDB in Win 3.1.

I have Zero aspiration for anything other than knowledge. I subscribe to the theory of "To understand and to fix something it is best to learn how to break it."