NetWare 2.x

edited June 2019 in Product Comments

imageNetWare 2.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Hello, managed to get the software loaded. Does anyone know what NIC driver would work in any version of VMWare or other virtual machine?

• Never mind, figured it out.

• @lippens said:
    Never mind, figured it out.

At least tell people what the solution was...

• It depends on which version of VMWare Workstation or ESX you are using.
  • its probably the pcnet32 ii (10mbp) nic, considering what poor pre-gigabit offerings VMware has to offer
  • Here is what seems to work. This was VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND but was worth it! VMWare so far not a solution but found a way with 86box. This works with 2.15C NonDedicated Netware, hope to test with other versions some day.
    Computer Type: AMI WinBIOS 486 HDD: IDE VLB 80MB HDD
    RAM: 8 MB RAM NIC: Western Digital Ethercard IRQ 3, IO 280H, RAM D000 Install drivers from
    http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/NET/NOVELL/ NJ21_312.ZIP
    1993-08-26 00:00 123K WESTERN DIGITAL ETHERCARD PLUS - FAMILY LAN ADAPTER DRIVERS FOR USE WITH NOVELL ADVANCED NETWARE 286 VERSION 2.1X AND 2.2. AND FOR USE IN WORKSTATIONS WITH NETWARE 386 VERSION 3.0 AND LATER

If anyone else gets these working, please let us know! It is quite nice to see running after all these years. Would love to see this in VMWare, but seems unlikely.
  • Versions 2.2 and 2.1x of Netware 286 (including 2.12 which is not offered here) are reasonably easy to install and use in 86box. What is tricky is to make the networking work. As the previous commenter said, emulated Western Digital/SMC LAN adapter works, 3Com Etherlink II (3c503) works too, I had no success with others. I haven't tested Netware 2.0a yet, but I don't have high expectations about it due to its weird driver model compared to 2.1x/2.2 , and the corresponding lack of drivers.