A home made rack server

edited April 2004 in Software
I took apart my cluster server, relized I have no need for one. I sold most of the nodes, I only have 4 left and I made a rack server. Right now they're running my own Distro of linux that I call EvilNix. I have each one doeing a special job for my network, one is the mail server, two is the SQL server, three is the webserver and four is my FTP server. The rack server isn't finished yet because i've been hunting down the right LIBs and crap so I can install the needed software. I'm tempted to make the SQL server also a Domain contoller and make the FTP server work also as a BNC (SHELL).

Any ideas on what I should do?

Comments

• sounds interesting, specs?
  • They all have the following except the one thats going to be the FTP server, it has a 30GB HD

AMD Athlon 700MHz uses the old SLOT A (this was before they moved to Socket A)
    128MB ram
    WD ATA33 IDE 6.4GB hard drive
    32X IDE ATA33 CD-ROM
    1.44MB Floppy
    SiS video that uses shared memory (Built into mobo)
    no sound
    USB 1.2

I have them cramed into some crapy old Dell desktop cases so it could be mounted onto a metal shelf that i added wheels and some other crud.
    When I get a chance i'm going to paint it all Black and get a decal that has my logo on it.
  • NICE tcp aka Linuxboy/man

looks like you can go into bizzness and start making some cash for hosting :idea:
  • A DC? Why do you want a DC?

-Q
  • Because i'm thinking to get a real domain.
  • and what is it that you have now?
  • I thought your cluster was a bunch of 133MHz with 4GB HD's........
  • Right now I have DNS and a crapy Domain from hostway that only does HTTP.

My cluster server was a bunch of pentium 133s untill I got a bunch of extra parts from some old workstations at work.
  • But you don't need a DC to do DNS, I don't think...

-Q
  • Nope, because i'm using one from www.dyndns.org If I was to host my own DNS then I would need a Domain Controller.
  • If you were to host you own domain, you'd need a DNS server.

If you need a DC to run a domain, then how do ppl with all UNIX/Linux shops run domains?

-Q
  • A DC is used for on a network that uses a domain instead of a workgroup. Basicly the DC is the server / router.
  • Yes, I know that, I've been through (Pretty poor) MS training.

I'm just trying to say that you don't HAVE to have an DC to host a DNS.

-Q
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Right now I have DNS and a crapy Domain from hostway that only does HTTP.

I'm having the same queer problem
  • MrClean wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    Right now I have DNS and a crapy Domain from hostway that only does HTTP.

I'm having the same queer problem

You need a DNS server to fix this problem... but we all have a different problem... dynamic IPs... every time your IP changes, your DNS server takes 24-48 hours to update... compared to DynDNS / No-IP's few minutes.... DynDNS seems instant to me..
  • lol, mayb i will someday not host my own stuff anymore. . . .
  • I have a static DNS Server from my ISP. Well I made it static that is. Just set the router to use the same two listings. Also I have my Domain from hostway pointed to tcpmeta.dyndns.org and I have my DyamicDNS setup though my router so I can have all of the computers off and still beable to use my domain unless I turn off the router or disconnect from the net.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I have a static DNS Server from my ISP. Well I made it static that is. Just set the router to use the same two listings. Also I have my Domain from hostway pointed to tcpmeta.dyndns.org and I have my DyamicDNS setup though my router so I can have all of the computers off and still beable to use my domain unless I turn off the router or disconnect from the net.
    Doesnt that mean that if you need a new ip it takes 48 hours for yur modem to get a new one?
  • No, I get it instantly.
  • Yeah, DynDNS is instant, but running your own personal DNS server takes 24-48 hours when the IP changes.
  • IP Address 65.80.108.55
    Subnet Mask 255.0.0.0
    Gateway 65.80.108.1
    Primary DNS Server 205.152.144.235
    Secondary DNS Server 205.152.132.235

Thats info from my router. The DNS servers are always the same ones and my IP changes each time I reset the router or gateway. I get a new IP instantly.
  • Yeah, but if you get a new IP, running your own DNS server, it takes 24-48 hours for the DNS to update...
  • Thats when a satalite uplink comes in. The only time I would get discinnected is from a bad overcast of clouds or the lights would go out.
  • ...but thats something that you dont have.
  • I can get it in a heart beat. Last year I bought the little setup kit for satalite internet and had it all setup then I found out it wasn't in my area yet. Now it is and its around the same price as my DSL.