3D Studio 4.x

edited October 2020 in Product Comments

image3D Studio 4.x

3D Studio, not to be confused with the later "3d Studio Max" product, is a DOS-based tool from Autodesk for creating 3d models and animations.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Seem to get a "dos mem corrupt, first_mcb=027e" when installing from disk 6 of the 4.1c updates. Stops at "Verifying: C:\3DS4\MAPS\BRNBRICB.CEL".

FreeDos says "PANIC: before 4a: MCB chain corrupted"

Is the img file corrupted?
  • Following up from my previous comment. It won't install properly in FreeDos. Use Dos 6.22 in the virtual machine. iF need mouse support, use CuteMouse software. Copy the files to a folder on C called Mouse. Add "C:\MOUSE\CTMOUSE.EXE" to the autoexec.bat file in the C drive and reboot. Will have mouse control in 3D Studio now if a bit laggy.
  • How I got v4.0 working at 1280x1024x256 on VMware Workstation 16:
    Use DOS 6.22 and the 9.x Microsoft Mouse driver available on this site.
    Grab 3ds4fix.exe ( https://archive.org/details/3ds4fix ), copy it to your 3ds4 root folder (default c:\3ds4) and run it.
    Start the video driver config with "3ds vibcfg" and use the settings shown here: https://i.imgur.com/x1xcsv6.png
  • Works fine even on lower end GPUs (tested with a TSENG ET4000w32/p), after applying the below fix run 3ds vibcfg then save without changing anything, then edit c:\3ds4\3ds.set, start by changing both of the VIBRANT_MAIN_FONT= & VIBRANT_MATERIAL_FONT= lines to "VIBRANT14" then scroll the line 696 and comment out (;) the 4 RESx= lines and the following DEFAULT_NULLRES= line. Save and quit then run 3ds, 640x480x256 works great and its not laggy at all.
  • hahaha this is what I used to make make my unfinished PlayStation (Net Yaroze) game in 2000/1,
    Sony had a plugging for it to export their PSX 3D format and animation, it worked okay, I guess.
  • hello
    i installed dos6.22 and 3ds4.0 on virtual box
    under 3ds4 when i try to create 3d shapes , its laggy
    any suggestions why ?
    16mb ram 4 cpu assigned to the vm

thanks