Idea for WinWorld Os'

edited July 2004 in Site Issues
Here is an idea. Why not put all of the OS's from WinWorld in one Big RAR file? like just put only the english ones in? I thought of it because I was downloading some old os's.

Or even put al of the Windows Classic into one RAR file, then put all the 9x into ione RAR file, and the NTs in one RAR file.

I hope this isnt a crazy idea

Comments

• just pretend like it will be for me to download a big rar archive for only nt351 server. tons of other useless crap. bad idea i think.
  • Here is an idea. Why not put all of the OS's from WinWorld in one Big RAR file? like just put only the english ones in? I thought of it because I was downloading some old os's.

Or even put al of the Windows Classic into one RAR file, then put all the 9x into ione RAR file, and the NTs in one RAR file.

I hope this isnt a crazy idea

Well the windows classic in 1 rar file is not a bad idea. but put all the win9x in the same rar is gonna be semihuge and all nt in 1 rar file will surely be over 1gb.
  • yeah, for Windows Classic it'll be OK
  • If we did that with the nt id feel sorry for slash.

Hey, Why dont winworld sell it on cds?
  • ..well they should have both, if u want to download all of them at one time, or just get the file u need
  • when you want to download all of them, you can also download all rar archives. so i think all-in-one archive is not needed.
  • No what i meant is have one big archieve with Classsic windows Os's and keeping ones seperate too so liker there will be Windows 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 ... and at the bottom, there will be All Windows Classic Os's
  • maybe you should ask administrators for that
  • alot of work, maybe worth a try
  • Well, as Slash said, only offering that would be a disaster, however sticking all related OSes in on RAR, well, let me see...

1.0xs - ~5MB
    3.xxs - ~70MB
    1s - 3s - ~100MB
    95s - ~750MB
    98s - ~1.1GB
    9xs - ~2GB
    NTs - ~750MB

That's not counting betas...

-Q
  • yeh, and for some loser with 56k (not me!) who just wants to download 98 would end up downloading 1.1GB instead of 110MB.
  • But there will be seperate copies, like to chose to DL individual items, or just download all related 9x OS's or All related Classic Os's.

Hmmm, I think that wouldnt be good, cuz that file is large if we do the 9x, and NT os's...., But the file isnt THAT big on Windows Classic.
  • Oh, i see. but wouldn't that be a strain on the servers if someone wants to download windows 98 and someone is downloading the 1.1GB one. That would slow other peoples downloads.
  • Ouch, that is alot of download for Windows 9x.... How about there just be Windows Classic and early 9x, like the 95A, 95C, and 98 Origional and Later 9x, there wil be the rest of the 9x downloads?

Hmmm, or we can just forget about the idea of NT, and 9x, and just do the classic...
  • Mr.BeanBag wrote:
    yeh, and for some loser with 56k (not me!) who just wants to download 98 would end up downloading 1.1GB instead of 110MB.

Even 1.1GB on my 600k connection would take ages....
  • yeh.. its a good idea if it won't strain the ww svrs.
  • It's an OK idea, but except for collector or ppl who are going to steal all our DLs for their own site, who'se going to download EVERY NT OS ever made (And ABWd)? Most ppl (Like that Speed45 guy) just want one OS to repair an old one, get an old machine off the ground, or play with and remember the past.

-Q
  • Ohhh, I thought of that like cuz I am starting to make a CD that will have like Windows 1.04, 2, 286, 3, 3.1, WFW 3.11

good point Q though. Now that you bring up that point, I don't think it'll be a good idea.
  • do the early win oses support cd drives tho
    i know 3.0 does
  • hmmm, I dont know.
  • We cant offer ANYTHING that big. Even on my connection it would take FOREVER to upload 1GB... like 6 hours..
  • so its agreed its not goona happen? or might not be a possibility
  • I think for the most part it's agreed to be a good but infeasable idea.

-Q
  • Yeah, that was a bad idea. If I only need a 98, why should I download the whole archive?
  • Exactly.

Just a waste.
  • yes, old versions of windows do support cd-rom drives because the drivers used are dos ones. The only odd thing is that they even have a cd-rom icon....

If your going to collect all of them...just download them one by one. Why have people waste space for 1 huge file when it's components are already there.