Mice don't last long these days...

From the past eight years now, I've went through five different mice (two Logitech B100s, an HP X1000 and two Dell MS116s) and they've all broke on me after over a year on average where the most common problem is the left mouse button being broken or problem with the scroller wheel. Right now, I have an HP QY777AT mouse which was a spare that I took from college but now I fear that won't last me long (as it was used).

Based on that experience, I really don't think computer mice last as long as they used to be and it really isn't fair... I mean, I've had one Logitech mouse that did me a good 11 years (that came with my first WinXP computer). It could be the harsh reality that mice and certain other electronic devices don't last long or maybe it's just down to my bad luck.

On top of that, anybody know any mice that can do you for like five years or so, like the one I had back in the day?

Comments

• Everything these days is engineered to last exactly a certain short amount of time. A couple of months ago I bought some small bathroom rugs - they are already disintegrating and probably won't last a year.

I'm tempted to say I'm still using the same Windows 95 era Mitsumi PS/2 mouse, but I've replaced parts over the years so I don't remember how much is original. The button switches lasted around 20 years of heavy use but I eventually had to swap them out. They had a nice light touch that didn't cause repetitive muscle strain. Picked up a couple spares over the years, including a USB version.
  • Yeah, mice dying is a problem that's plagued me for a good long while.

The Logitech B100s are nice mice, but they definitely don't last. I use them on pretty much everything that's not my main desktop. I keep a stockpile of them and just replace them whenever they die.

I had an HP mouse that I loved back in the day and it was rock solid until I broke it out of anger. I don't remember how many years it lasted, but it was definitely a few. That HP dying started the hunt for a decent mouse.

I rocked a logitech G400 for a while and I really liked it, but I started having funky scrolling issues. I had gotten a G400s for work, so I switched to that at home as well. It still works, but I haven't used it in a while.

About 3ish years ago I switched to a Razer Viper and I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I'm not having any issues with it after 3 years. Will it die in 2 years? I hope not. But we'll just have to see.

One thing that I hope will give it a fighting chance is that it uses optical buttons rather than the traditional micro switches. It feels like any other mouse button, but I guess it uses an optical sensor under the hood.
  • Got myself a third Dell MS116 recently and already it's beginning to fail on me (or maybe I'm just paranoid). At times it would randomly do a right click but funny enough it didn't do it yesterday or even the day before after the first time. It's only a new mouse for god sake! 🤬

Although, regarding a mouse that can do me for a good number of years, I've been looking at this, but only because it was "Amazon's Choice" and reviews on it did say that people have had it for many years without any problems (like for one person who had it since 2019).

Should my current mouse ever screw up on me, I have an Anmck rechargeable wireless mouse that I originally bought for a laptop I loaned from college and it done me well so may switch to that if I want to, so that it doesn't ever go unused. We'll see...
  • I'd be very weary of the Kensington mouse. I bought a bunch of those back in the day because I'd heard good things... worst mice I've ever used. Total waste of money. I suppose they did last though... because I never wanted to use them.
  • Well, I'm getting myself one anyway based on the reviews and all that.

What mice would you recommend that's guaranteed to last me for many years (like the Logitech mouse I had back in the day)? And would you say that gaming mice typically last you longer (not that I'd want one just for everyday use, even if it involves plentiful of scrolling and clicking).
  • I like the Razer Viper. I'm not sure how long it will last, but we'll see
  • I have been using the reintroduced MS larger wired mice for a few years. Seems solid if not quite what the Intellimouse was 20 years ago.
  • The Microsoft basic optical mouse I got many many years ago worked until it got really damaged when I moved. It was the V1, this:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/458930-REG/Microsoft_P58_00001_Basic_Optical_Mouse.html
    Nowadays I use some offbrand mouse that I have to keep changing the switches on.
  • @yourepicfailure Sounds like your mouse got damaged at transit... I remember the Logitech mouse I had for over ten years broke for some reason, right after I was back from a short holiday 🤬
  • Yeah I had a high-end Logitech that lasted maybe a little over a year...

I been using Logitech M570 for last 8 years or so pretty happy compared to anything else-

It's a 'thumbball' mouse so mouse itself never moves you use only your thumb for navigation. Works quite well for me. Only thing you have to do is pop the ball out with a pen or other & clean crap out of the socket maybe once a month. I have 5 or 6 with a couple on the 8 year old cycle, one went bad after 2-3 years by the switch 'double-clicking' on LMB but all other OK and I do a hELL of a lot of cycling especially when doing sample libraries or making key-split instruments constant LMB-RMB.

The ball is quite nice you can get pretty accurate using paint programs & such...
  • @TalkOrBell I've had a look at something like that before, although I decided against it... but I did get myself a handheld mouse years ago but ended up not using it as I found it damn awkward (and a year later I'd donate it to the college).

Also, I've been using that Kensington mouse for six months now and no problems whatsoever.