Clipper 5.x

edited May 2020 in Product Comments

Clipper 5.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• What app was used to create these .img files? I have tried to burn them with ImgBurn and it says they are either unknown format or corrupt. The file size of the img file is 720k.
    Thanks

• These images are not conventional CD / DVD images. They are floppy images to use in VMWare or other apps as a foppy image
  • I am installing Clipper 5.3 DOS version. Guessed there is error in disk #7. As I got: "Warning: file creation failed: c:\CLIP53\BIN\DBU.EXE, DBU.HLP, RL.EXE, PE.EXE".
    Although the installation completed but I cannot locate any files under c:\CLIP53\BIN. I guess quite a number of files have not been installed.
  • @JohnSF
    It installs fine for me without any errors in MS-DOS 5.0 in 86Box.
  • edited May 2023
    I downloaded and installed in DosboxX, everything installed just fine.
  • Hi jonirob & juksu, thank you for your advice. I am running DOXBox-X 2023.05.01 version and DOSBox 0.74-3 over Windows 11. I am using NanaZIP to extract files downloaded from this website. Unluckily for me, the same imcomplete result appeared. After installation, only three directories: LIB / NG / SOURCE are created; as well as 4 files under the directory C:\CLIP53 i.e. BLINKER.TXT, BLINKER.WRI, LLIGB.TXT and NATION.DOC. The most important directory BIN cannot be found.
    Should I use another UNZIP file (not NANAZIP) to extract DOS installation disk # 5/6/7/8 ?
  • Please read about Winworld's archive formats: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/10444/winworld-archive-format-information

You're not going to read that are you?

Ok, to keep it short - use 7-ZIP to extract 7z files.

You are then supposed to to point your emulator the the IMG files to use as floppy drive "A", or write the IMG files to a real floppy disk. Installers often WILL NOT WORK if you try to extract files from a floppy disk image.

If you MUST extract files from a floppy disk image, use WINIMAGE. That is what it is designed for and is a trillion times more reliable than archive tools.
  • Hi SomeGuy, thank you for your advice. Apology that I had not read that very important document before raising so many questions.
    I will follow the instruction and report the result in due course.
  • Hi SomeGuy, I have used WinImage to extract files and then store the disk5/6/7/8 in different folders. I use DOSBox-X and map (a to c:\disk; c to c:\clip). I run install from A drive and use CTRL-F4 to switch between each disk. Unfortunately, I have got the same result as per my previous message.
    As the most accurate way, should I locate a floppy disk drive/use floppy disk to perform the installation ?
  • If your goal is to run in emulation, then it sounds like you may need a different emulator. Historically dosbox has had little to no support for floppy disk images and can not handle system level software since it was designed mostly to run games.