Should I own an old computer?

edited November 2023 in Hardware
Does any of you think an old laptop or desktop would be right for me? If so, which old laptop or desktop would I consider? My dad thinks that an old computer is a very bad idea, preferring that I use new technology. Recently I gave up my four IBM ThinkPads (I had to do it in order to go to Las Vegas). My dad was glad that I gave those laptops up. However, I changed my stance on owning old computers. Though I presently own no old computers, I badly want to have an old (preferably vintage) computer. I decided that I should look to you to see which old laptops/desktops would be right for me. I would like to mention that it is very hard to get my dad to purchase an old computer. Some older computers can still be powerful enough to browse the web and do other common tasks, from burning CDs and DVDs to word processing to working with basic graphics. As for batteries, I assume you can easily buy a replacement battery for an old laptop if I find that there is not enough (or no) battery life. I do not think an old computer is a bad idea and also think it is better than resorting to virtual machines and emulators.

Up until this point I failed to mention that my dad is concerned about computers taking up space. I'm guessing that If I went for a desktop, you would probably want me to get a smaller one with at most three drive bays and about three expansion slots, paired with an LCD monitor.

If I went for a laptop I would want something that is more durable than the IBM ThinkPad T4x. My previous T41 accidentally fell from a bed and it essentially broke. I heard that the IBM/Lenovo T60/T60p is more durable than the T4x models. Obviously, the Panasonic Toughbooks are also more durable.

What particular computer models would you recommend?

Comments

• edited November 2023
    Can you also link to eBay listings of old computers in good, working condition for at most $120?

Note: My dad is not very willing to increase the budget past $120.
  • My dad has responded to an email I sent:

I feel uncomfortable with the fact that you are not trying new computers and new operating systems. I would be more likely to approve an old computer if you were using new technology at least 90% of the time.
  • Well, if you think you are actually going to be able to DO actual work with an older computer, then you should forget it.

The moment a web browser for a platform stops receiving updates, sites will slowly start to break. Windows 7 will stop receiving updates for Firefox LTS. Application vendors pull support whenever they feel like it. There is already stuff that doesn't support 32-bit Windows 10.

If you want an older/vintage computer, YOU need to know why YOU want it, and what you want to accomplish with it.

Laptops are notoriously specific about what OS they can run. A laptop "designed for Windows 98" may not have drivers for Windows 95, and will move slower than molasses running Windows XP.

You want to run some older games on real hardware? Research what hardware best runs it on that era of machine.

You want to read/write different kinds of media:? Make sure it has expandability you needs, such as support for more than one floppy drive, PCI slots, PCMCIA slots, ISA slots, USB 2 ports, IDE/SATA, or so on.

Using older computers *IS* a money and time sink. You WILL spend lots of time futzing around trying to get things to work and you may not succeed. Parts can go bad, and you will have no warranty coverage.

Also, things break. Parts go bad after so long. Some machines were built to last, and others not so much. You buy a laptop and a single capacitor dies - unless you are a genius, it is game over.

At least with XT/AT/ATX form computers you can swap out parts when something dies. But you will still be spending money hunting down a new power supply or video card.

Even if you had the knowledge and tools, you will find yourself buying replacement capacitors and chips from Mouser.

As for space, once you get in to any kind of collecting, it will fill up all your space and then some! At least you are not trying to collect VAX systems!

Anyway, as for buying something. Once you have made up your mind what you want and have a budget, take your time and find something for LESS than your budget. Once in a while an eBay seller might get stupid and wind up selling something for a single bid of 99 cents. Of course, look carefully at any item on eBay and to gauge the condition and if it will work for you.

Be sure to look in to other marketplaces besides eBeh or Farcebook.

If you are talking about something more recent, such as a Windows 7 or Vista laptop, then ask around and someone might just throw one at you for free.
  • edited November 2023
    "Using older computers *IS* a money and time sink. You WILL spend lots of time futzing around trying to get things to work and you may not succeed. Parts can go bad, and you will have no warranty coverage."

My previous 2011 Lenovo ThinkPad T420s (that I no longer own) came with a 1-year warranty when it was bought from eBay in 2020. It wasn't/isn't exactly vintage, but still.

I really think my dad is preventing me from collecting old computers. He also has said that I would be better off resorting to a virtual machine or emulator, despite that I want to have actual hardware.

Would any of the following computers work for me? Would they be practical? Also link to listings of these computers that are under $120 and in good working condition.
    • IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T60/T60p
    • IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Z61t
    • IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad X61/X61s
    • Lenovo ThinkPad T400/T500/W500
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X200/X200s/X200 Tablet
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X201/X201s/X201 Tablet
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X220/X220 Tablet
    • Lenovo ThinkPad X230/X230 Tablet
    • HP Compaq 6510p
    • HP Compaq 8510p
    • Dell Precision M90
    • other similar machines
    Is the Dell XPS M1210 (made of aluminum and magnesium alloy) more durable than the IBM T40/T41/T42/T43? What about the Toshiba Satellite A100 or U205? Or the IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad Z61m? Are those computers more durable?
  • @SomeGuy

My dad actually looked at your response (I emailed it to him) and concluded that I should NOT own an old computer. I guess maybe an old Windows Vista or 7 laptop might be better suited for me? Some Vista laptops can actually run Windows 2000 if so desired.
  • Times are tough right now. Most people have to watch every cent they spend. If you have a roof over your head, and food on your plate, consider yourself lucky. If you have health care coverage, consider yourself damn lucky.

Unless you have a real need, such as data archival, software development compatibility testing, or accessibility issues that "modern" crap won't meet, then you are spending money on a hobby.

There is nothing wrong with a hobby or something that entertains you. Most people spend lots of money on entertainment. But you can't expect someone else to pay for it for you.

Earn some money, save up, and spend it as you see fit.

Again, for recent stuff, ask around and see if anyone will throw you something your way for little or nothing. That is how I got lots of my crap back in the day.

Anyway, no specific options on the listed machines. Just make sure it has all the accessories with it you need. Also, hunt down and archive software drivers for it before they disappear.
  • Hello,
    I confirm the suggestions of SomeGuy and Conrad. Old computers are expensive and may be of interest to collectors. If you want to use old software, I advise you to use emulators.

Furthermore, the sale price is limited “from theft”. For example: sells a “486 sx 33 4MB” computer for $200 that doesn’t work.

Otherwise, don't you have flea markets (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocante), you can possibly have old computers for cheap (if you pay for it yourself) ?

Bye
  • edited November 2023
    Tonight I successfully got my dad to place an order for a 2006/2007 Dell Latitude D520 (one of Dell's last 4:3 laptops) for $125. It will arrive between December 1 and 6.

Can anyone link to drivers for this laptop for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7?
  • Try searching the Dell website. I get a list of 58 drivers and updates for the D520 but that includes firmware updates for all the different models of optical drive that Dell shipped. You will need a lot fewer. Some of those do drop back to include XP/2000 support like the Intel Mobile Chipset drivers. I am surprised by Windows 2000 support for a laptop made in 2006.

Windows 7 (and probably Vista) should install on it with no difficulty with working drivers baked into the OS.
  • My Dell Latitude D620 (not a D520) arrived today.