Complete Defragmentation on NT OS!

QQ
edited July 2004 in Software
copmdef.PNG

Comments

• WoW! How you'd manage to get that???
  • Well that's the D: drive, that has no apps or stuff on it. So I could defrag without worrying about it not moving something because it was in use. I used Diskeeper Pro's Defrag @ boot option to consolidate the folders (The light blue things @ the front of the driver) and then in Windows defraged it ~3 to 4 times and it was finally completely defragged!

-Q
  • I gotta defragment my drives, Im afraid to look @ them
  • I just did a fresh install so ill defragment my drive right now. lets see where we get.
  • Im about ready to do a clean install right now. I backed up 30GB of my warez partition, but I still got all my south park videos which is like 5GB
  • This is why I like Linux. No defraging.
  • But then it gets slower and slower. Just because they didnt include it doesnt mean it doesnt get fragmented.
  • I think RieserFS somehow prevents fragmentation, or something like that.

-Q
  • Q, you are using FAT32 instead of ntfs why?
  • edited June 2004
    im goona give this a try w 00 t

w00t.JPG

wasent that the catch prase for taht infomercial with the old dude and that machine?
  • Because NTFS sucks.

-Q
  • ..i thougt NTFS was way better than the fat32?
  • Winboy wrote:
    ..i thougt NTFS was way better than the fat32?

it is.
  • NTFS IS better than FATx, but is far less compatible... You cant boot off floppies or anything. But it DOES save ALOT of space, and take like no time to defragment.
  • NTFS IS better than FATx, but is far less compatible... You cant boot off floppies or anything.

yeah thats the only downside. there is ntfsdos i think its called, that gives u a file manager like drive listing of ntfs drives for dos, and nero has some file too, i gotta find that, but that can give u ntfs access from dos prompt. read only.
  • No good, I'm frequently going back and forth between Linux, DOS, Windows and other OSes, NTFS isn't worth the middling to nonexistant gains for me.

-Q
  • You can read DOS in Linux.....You dont want to write to it though.....
  • I did it sucesfully for several weeks in Linux...

-Q
  • You need to recompile to kernal to get it to write to NTFS properly. It fucks up your file system
  • I'm using FAT32, as Topher observed and we discussed about 5 posts back.

-Q
  • Oh, I touht you meant NTFS
  • Q wrote:
    I'm using FAT32, as Topher observed and we discussed about 5 posts back.

-Q

LMAO! Im always telling him to read the whole topic (wrong)
  • There he goes again!

And yes, "Set It and Forget It"- wasn't that the Showtime Rotisserie thing?
  • Yea, where he has the audience doing that thing...

-Q

PS. What was the one that was supposed to take the rust off of tile or something?
  • Whoa.... Q, how did you do that?! Sooo perfect.
  • I cleaned alot of crap, then used boot time defrag and got all the folders @ the front of the disk (That's what the blue line is) then in Windows jsut told it to defrag 3 or 4 times and that was the result!

-Q
  • Coool. I'll try that sometime later.