Installing NT 4.0 Work From CD

edited April 2004 in Software
I've been trying to install Windows NT 4.0 (the Australian edition of course! Last version of windows to have an australian verson, damn it!) and my disk drive is screwed on my old machine.

Is there any way to instal Windows NT without having to make those cr*ppy 3 disks at the beginning? I read there's a tag for the winnt.exe file or something you can use

Comments

• Seeing as this is the active OS in discussion at the moment :lol:
  • at a command prompt type winnt /? and read through there is an option, i never make them, but i don't remember what it is right now
  • Yeah, thats what I thought, I added the switch today (sorry, not 'tag') but it still insisted on making the disks... I read somewhere that if your bios is stuffed the cd thinks you cant boot off a cd or something so it forces you to make a disk

I have no idea
    ::(
  • In the US version

WINNT /X

If that doesn't work

WINNT /X /B /S D:\winnt

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    In the US version

WINNT /X

If that doesn't work

WINNT /X /B /S D:\winnt

-Q

That's the one Q... that's what i was trying to remember :-)
  • Ah, good stuff, I'll try it out ::D
  • Should've tried the Floppyless operation switch "/B"
    if you use it like this i know it will work:

[cd drive letter]:\i386\winnt /B
  • Why not ust get a bootable NT4 CD?>
  • He IS, that's not the point. What he means is that when NT4 installs, it tries to create those ughly bootdisks

-Q

PS. The 2nd option I gave was the /B one.
  • edited April 2004
    My point was that you didn't need to inc.lude /X or /S

Either way it works, mine is just shorter.

As far as I know, all NT4 CD's are bootable. Not ALL computers can boot from CD-ROM drives, though
  • My NT4 bootable doesnt ask for the disks...
  • my NT4 is actually real :-P WS and Server...TS is a differen story. i386 DIR with the Clients. And I dont have Enterprise Server...wait....I think I do have FishNET's 4-in-1 somewhere. *looks on desktop with 10GB of shit everwhere*
  • The WINNT /b command always works for me, even works for the german version.
  • Fishnet, That's because it is bootable. If it isn't bootable, It needs the 3 floppies to start the setup, if you have nothing else on the computer.
  • I installed it NT4.0 today, just before all the good info poured in so i had to make the 3disks, ive never used it before so i might try it without the SP6a for a week or so, even though nothing works without the sp's
    James1990
  • if you get a bad checksum error for NTVDM.EXE, reinstall it, then delete that file. OR if you have NTFS-DOS or used a FAT drive, just use DOS and delete it. Im still not sure what causes it. But with the thing deleted, you loose all DOS support. Works for me becuase all my DOS shit is used on my thinkpad with 95 and my 486
  • Im gonna try install 2000 on it, but i dunno how much the requirements are..... Eh Rube, u from WA? u have the Black Swan flag, thats for WA,
  • 2000 needs 133MHz, 64MB RAM, 1GB HD. I recemend a 3GB HD, 200Mhz MMX with 128MB RAM
  • 300MHz, 128MB ram and a 6.4GB hard drive. Makes things a heck of a lot better. Because after you install a bunch of programs it will slow down but with this extra hardware it won't seem as bad if you used a 200MHz CPU.,
  • kinda get what you mean.

Right now, 233Mhz MMX with 128MB RAM and a 3GB+1.5GB and its OK, but a little slow.

2000 just runs slow. XP actually runs faster than 2000 on a 400Mhz.

Right now, Im fixiing a 266MHz OC'd to 300MHz with 244MB RAM and dual 3.2GB HD's. Thinking about sticking 2000 on it.
  • I've done bechtests on a AMD K6/2 500MHz, 128MB ram, 30GB HD, PC with Win2k and WinXP. They both ran fast but when XP was on it video games would chug due to XP's memory hogging. Even with all of the eye candy off it still chug. The only thing about win2k was some times it took a min or two for it to setup the network but this was due to a bad registry entry.