XP SP1 Install Problems

edited July 2004 in Software
Ok, I have tried this a few months ago, but it wouldn't work wiht the same error.

Ok, So I download SP1 for XPHOME, So I am waiting for the driver detection of the install. Most of the driver detection is done when it says ATAPI.SYS is being used by another program..... I have no idea how to pass this. All my applications are closed, I have tried SafeMode. Any Ideas?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! :D

Comments

• are you installing of of a CD or using the CD in some way? ATAPI.sys is the CD driver
  • try copying SP1 onto your hard disk if you are using a CD to install SP1.
  • Try uninstalling your CD drives and controllers from Device Manager, they should be redetected on reboot.

-Q
  • i have downloaded Sp1 from the internet. Q, I think I will try that.

I hope they detect on next reboot.....

BTW- I have the CDs out of my CD drives.
  • Ok, your getting sp1 don't bother with sp1a. Some people don't pay attention and think they need to install sp1a cause it's new (like NT4's 6 and 6a were) but sp1a is actually sp1 minus the MS java virtual machine, same updates, same fixes, lack of java.
  • Actually I am gettin SP1a, BTW Q, you were right! Thanks a ton! IUt is now downloading....

But according to PC Mag. SP2 is 90-200MB! That will take about 15-25hours for me to finish!

Has anyone downloaded SP2 yet and got a different file size,please reply.

Thanks again Q!
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! This can't be! MS Is having errors with my download of the SP!

Does anyone have SP1 on a server that I can download from? BTW- With SP2 too. Thanks! If possible, please RAR it but it don't really matter:D Thanks
  • The network install is 264MB. (don't forget it's still beta, so it's bound to enlarge.) There is also a way to do it though windows update which makes it probably considerably smaller, I will try it now to see how large the update is using a virtual machine with XP Pro sp1a.
  • http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... predl.mspx

that page has the download for sp2 and the link to do it through windows update.
  • thanks wingzero, right now I need SP1 cuz of dumb windows update keeps saying something about how some site cant be found :-?
  • Well....you have to download Windows Update version 5...then some other update component....

Then you get an express or custom install option
    I picked custom

Hrm...it says not to install it over a slipstreamd installed version of sp2. well we don't have sp2 so... carrying on

It says 100MB to download it this way
    well....doing a lot of "preparing for download"

Yeah 109MB well...I'll download it and install it. You know about the many update sp2 has right?

They have fixed lots of stuff, and pretty much took everything they have built for longhorn, and made it XP compatible. They updated the firewall and beefed it up, also forcing it as turned on for default. They have some security tray icon that bitches LOTS to tell you that your computer isn't update, your anti-virus isn't recognized or updated, your firewall isn't configured blah blah blah, you can tell it to shut up which is always fun. There's also some other security updates for like everything else I just don't remember at the moment.

Oh damn...haven't realized how fast this new cable can go when you are downloading at full speed.... in only a few minutes I downloaded all 109 megs...

Oh yeah, this is a trailing list, I'm just typing as things happen, instead of posting 10,000 times or doing a million edits.

Well, now it's verifying the download (all is still going on in the windows update window, so far nothing that looks like the NT or 2k service pack updates.

Oh wait! Yay, a service pack update wizard, much like 2k's. I'm not sure as I wasn't paying complete attention, but I think it forced me to make a backup of my sp1 files, probably just because it's beta.

Taking inventory now...wow that was quick, now it's making sp2.cab...ack we know those are huge, woah, it was created rather fast also.... backing up all the files...(anyone actually make backups during their sp upgrades?). Backing up registry, creating restore point! oh...I should turn that off lol... Wow, a restore point to get rid of the service pack, and you can get rid of it from add/remove programs.... it's like they WANT you to get rid of it... Installing new files.

Hrm...I have the feeling this is going to be a long post....

OK, it creates sp2.cab...then later on it installs it.... I guess it created it in a temp folder then copied it.

running processes after install, so...does it mean that it is actually done installing and just wasting time?

Preforming cleanup, hey....I think I just watched the status bar move backwards.....

Hrm..it won't let me choose if I want to restart or not, but the box is checked, but grayed over...

Ah then windows update makes you restart..well yeah that's sp2's install in a nutshell 100 megs isn't terrible for you is it?
  • Ok, you want sp1, I'll see about finding it's full download and see how big it is
  • the network install is 134MB.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... fault.mspx

Edit: I just downloaded it, and it was 125MB