how do u make ur computer a mail server?

edited April 2004 in Software
does anyone know how you go about making ur computer a mail server? (somethig like apachie for making your computer a webserver?)

Comments

• If you're using Windows, there are a bunch a ways, Kerio makes a Win Mail svr. For linux there are multitudenous methods and means, I just use SME with builtin mail svr.

-Q
  • The best one for Windows is MDaemon, most HTTP based email companys use this little mail server. It comes with everything even a web based email system.
  • I use VisNetic Mail Server 5, but if your ISP doesnt allow servers, it work work.
  • Its funny, I found out that I can't host email with bellsouth. But I do it anyway lol.
  • Yeah Verizon's TOS says no servers, but accordnig to three people at tech support, they dont enforce that rule, and they wont care unless your running some major-ass business webserver.

The no server rules basically for liability purposes only... if you run one, what happens to it is YOUR problem, not theirs....
  • Heres what my ISP says you can not use.

A Router
    shareing across a Home network (They want to charge you more for that)
    Email server
    Webserver

Thing is you can use a router but they won't help you with tech support if something goes wrong.
    They want you to pay 10 dollors a PC for sharing across a home network (think this is for people that arn't computer savy).
    I understand for the rest but hey they don't block the ports so i'm doing untill they send me a letter.
  • I don't even know what Crapcasts Terms of Shit are, nor do I really care.

-Q
  • My ISP says
    -Only 2 PC's
    -No sservers (they blocks ports, but dont really care if you run one)
    -no illegal activities (just if they find out ;-) )
    -etc,etc.

Now, I think I broke all the rules already.

I dont really see why they cant have mail servers, just as long as you arent mailing fucken 200MB files. I think they should open port 25, but monitor it for files over 10MB and then shut off the account thats sending over 10MB at once.
  • You could try ArgoSoft mail server, that's quite good, back me up here Dr Ping.
  • scarface wrote:
    You could try ArgoSoft mail server, that's quite good, back me up here Dr Ping.

ArGoSoft mailserver is freeware mail server for windows. its really no thrills but its the best freeware mail server i have found. it also includes a webmail thing, but it requires IIS!
  • IIS comes with a SMTP service so that kinda makes it a script then a program.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    IIS comes with a SMTP service so that kinda makes it a script then a program.

yeah well were all iis haters here!
  • yeah well were all iis haters here!

Damn skippy, Apache for ever!
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    yeah well were all iis haters here!

Damn skippy, Apache for ever!

i need to learn apache, its hard (well for me it is)!

for now, abyss!
  • If you can setup a network or router then you can setup Apache.
    Heck maybe I should write a help guide or somthing for you guys.
  • It would've been good if you provided some links.

Well I just googled and found:

MDaemon
    http://www.ccsoftware.ca/mdaemon/

VisNetic MailServer
    http://www.deerfield.com/products/index.htm?pgid=2

Review of VisNetic MailServer 6.0 by OutlookPower
    http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/issu ... 93001.html

I'm going to bed, nearly 2am over here. But I'm also interested about the mail server. Those of you that already use a mail server, which one do you recommend?
  • Ian wrote:

I use it on my server... problem is its like, $1,200... but very easy to config... so you'd better be a pirate!
  • www.altn.com is the home website for MDaemon.