New Downloads Server

edited July 2004 in News & Announcements
OK, so I'm setting up a server at my work that I'm going to be the administrator of, and since all the schools around here have like dual cable lines or T3, I'm going to be putting quite a few downloads on there.
It's going to be using Windows Server 2003 with IIS 6.0. I'll have complete control over it, so I won't get caught, I'm allowed anyways :).

~Duff

Comments

• IIS? argh....
  • I say use Windows 2000, more professionals use it than 2003.
  • And if your work finds out that you're hosting downloads on their connection.....
  • Windows 2000 and SP4...should be top notch then

IIS? Use Abyss, trust me, its awesome

plus I think WinWorld still uses it
  • Yea. I agree with Jim.
  • I'm permitted to host my needs on their connection, they honestly don't mind. About Abyss etc. I've used it, I don't like it. All of the main WinWorld Servers now use Apache. I'm going to use Windows Server 2003 because I don't have a copy of 2000 Server.
  • The forums being run on Abyss. Everything else is Apache 1.3. Plus, I may be able to find 2000 Server...
  • What's the POINT of Serverer?! Pro is FINE. IIS is 'professional' the same way that WMP10 is...

-Q
  • Ugh, you people that have to have "server" in the name just for a server ::rolls eyes::

Just install Professional, then setup IIS/Install Apache
  • Hell no, WinWorld is NOT going to use IIS.

-Q
  • -_-

I thought Duff liked IIS

go Apache
  • Duff does, Fish and I know better.

-Q
  • i use apache. and i noticed that 2k server is more stable than 2000 and it can support more CPU's and RAM
  • BOD wrote:
    and it can support more CPU's and RAM

How many of use have 4 CPUs and 8GB of RAM?

-Q
  • Yeah.....your kind of short 3 CPU's and about 7.XGB of RAM
  • i dunno. but sum1 mite find one on ebay,,,,,,
  • THey might, but honestly I don't think anyone has near the abount of CPUs/Mem to require getting serverer.

-Q
  • some of the other stuff could be useful
  • Like what? IIS?

-Q
  • Yeah...probly

but are YOU going to use them

Also, you say Server is more stable than Professional, BACK IT UP
  • i used to use 2k server put the comp was like the slowest PII they made. it coulnt cope. its now on NT4WS
  • I dont think Fish and Q are gonna go all professional IT server like just yet. Getting a high powered server is mad expensive, and at this stage of the forum, its not worth it. About 10 people post on a regular basis, you need much more traffic. The setup they have now works so if it works, dont fix it.
  • Right now our homegrown setup is the best ever, we aren't going to pay for anything we don't need.

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    i used to use 2k server put the comp was like the slowest PII they made. it coulnt cope. its now on NT4WS

Uhhh....I had a Pentium II 233MHz (FIRST Pentium II) and it ran 2000 PERFECT
  • Q wrote:
    Right now our homegrown setup is the best ever, we aren't going to pay for anything we don't need.

-Q

exactly...its unneccessary at this stage.
  • Do slackware 10 and Apache its awesome.
  • BOD wrote:
    i used to use 2k server put the comp was like the slowest PII they made. it coulnt cope. its now on NT4WS

Uhhh....I had a Pentium II 233MHz (FIRST Pentium II) and it ran 2000 PERFECT

yeah this is a 233 but i loaded so much shit onto it. it didnt help taht it only had 64MB RAM
  • Uhhh.....its a SERVER

All you need to do is install APache and an FTP server
  • BOD wrote:
    i dunno. but sum1 mite find one on ebay,,,,,,

If someone got a board with multiple PII slots, I could contribute several 200+ MHz PII's. But that would be along the lines of... pointless.
  • There never were 200MHz PEntium II's

233MHz was the first.

That is..unless you dont fuck up the multiplyer and make it run ay 166MHz. I tried OC'ing from 266 to 300 and I did it wrong making it run at 166MHz with a FSB of 60MHz

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file