How would this run?

edited August 2004 in Software
I'm thinking bout turning my old Packard Bell into a webserver. Just to host some files. Shouldn't be all too slow considering im not running a forum with MySQL and phpBB...

Specs:
Packard Bell Platinum
Intel Pentium Processor @ 200mhz
32 MB of DIMM RAM
2 GB Hard drive
2 MB video ram
Windows 98SE on it...

what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Its that or....

eMachines e433
    Intel Celeron Processor @ 433mhz
    64 MB of RAM
    6 GB Hard Drive
    Integrated Video i think

Its one of those "all in one" machines...its green and looks like an iMac.
  • OK, if it's JUST AWS and a few HTML files then maybe, provided that you cut the crap that starts with Windows.

-Q
  • edited July 2004
    Yeah, I know how to handle Windows 98...i can cut the crap outta that..just Abyss and Win98....

but which system to use?

The thing with the eMachine is that celerons perform at half the speed it really is....i dont know, i just think that way cuz its bottom of the barrel...so i think mine runs around 216.5 mhz...for the celeron..
  • Emachines DEFINATELY, specwise it's better then the PB in every field.

-Q
  • true...but i dunno ....something is tellin me to go with PB...maybe cuz i just like it as a tower and the emachine is that all in one shit.
  • the eMachines will due fine.

BUT, your gonna have to go with an NT based OS. 98 just wont cut it
  • Put 2000 Pro on the eMachines.
  • I ran AWS on 98 fine, there's nothing wrong with it for light duty use.

-Q
  • Same here........cant go NT4 becuase lack of MMX.
  • Q wrote:
    I ran AWS on 98 fine, there's nothing wrong with it for light duty use.

-Q

98 SUCKS, especially for servers!
  • I would bump up the RAM to 128Mb and youll be all set
  • I used a 98 installation for about 5 years straight, including serverer use. I wouldn't host WV or WB on it, but light duty, a few files, is fine.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    I used a 98 installation for about 5 years straight, including serverer use. I wouldn't host WV or WB on it, but light duty, a few files, is fine.

-Q

Thats exactly what I'm thinking about...

hmmm NT4 doesnt sound too bad...nor does 2k...
  • Go whereever you want, but try it with just 98. If it works, don't fix it.

-Q
  • Yeah I think thats the safest bet...that and ill add the "unofficial" service pack for it that makes it look like 2000 with tons of fixes and patches.
  • You can host a webserver with a 186 with 40MHz.
    Your systems are plenty fast for this. Just install windows and install Apache.
    If your using Windows 9x/ME/NT4 then use Apache 1.3 and if your using Windows 2000/XP/l2003 then use Apache2. Remember to put index.htm or default.htm in every directory in your webserver web directory. Damn google.
  • Yeah, turns out google can search diectorys even if there are no filesl inked.

Thats how you can find secret stuff if ou use the right paremitors
  • This is a project that I have officially scratched.

Next step for this PC is eBay.
  • tcp wrote:
    If your using Windows 9x/ME/NT4 then use Apache 1.3
    something tells me that not many ppl are gonna be runnin a server on win ME!

lol
  • You would be surprized what people run on their systems.
  • yeah lol n00bs mainly
  • too bad that some n00bs think that WinME is more reliable than Win2000 or WinXP. :fail:
  • :?

n00bs need to be teached the "proper" way of doin thiings
  • OK, 'n00bs' is REALLY getting annoying.

-Q
  • too bad that some n00bs think that WinME is more reliable than Win2000 or WinXP. :fail:

I laugh at that. ha. Windows ME isnt that bad for just normal use but as a server? haha come on....think people.