Classic Windows: Which is your favorite?

edited November 2012 in Software
What is your favorite Classic Windows version?

Comments

• I chose WfW 3.11. All the good stuff from 3.1/3.11 with integrated networking.
    I still have the original disks!
  • Probably NT 4.0 Workstation, which is probably my favorite OS in general.

Which I never can seem to get to install... :(
  • NT 4 is an OK OS, but it's an NT OS, not classic. For me, anything but 3.0 is OK. Although 3.0 has a beautifl startscreen.

-Q

PS. Fish, I cleaned up your posting.
  • 3.0 does have a beautiful start screen as does NT 4.0. My favorite classic Windows is WFW 3.11, as it has intergrated networking.
  • Anybody interested in a dutch version of Windows 3.1? I have all 7 disks which I can upload. 8)
  • Thanks!

Having multilingual ABW helps out more ppl than just the English stuff ever will. :)

-Q

PS. Email winworld at wwsvr servehttp com.
  • I had to choose WFW3.11... networking integrated into a nice 3.1 interface :D
  • Out of these options, I'd choose WFW 3.11... Since I used to love using my 66MHz / 16MB with that...
  • Id have to say Windows For Workgroups v3.11.

Basically becuase...its the newest of all and runs on a 386 smoothly.
  • Hey I have a Tandy 1500HD Laptop and i installed Dos 5 and Winows 1.01 and it works great! Not as many errors as i thought there would!
  • Ive got a Toshiba T2130CT laptop .... got it from Q..runs Windows 95 perfect on 75MHz / 16MB!
  • Ive got an IBM Thinkpad 760L laptop .... got it from eBay..runs Windows 95 perfect on 90MHz / 48MB!
  • I've gt a Epson Equity LT-386SX and it runs Operation Kewl perfectly.

-Q

PS. Or as perfectly as possible.
  • My own personal fayourite is windows 3.0 which i run on the pc emulator on the amiga with calmira on top. 98se is wht i use most and as far as i`m concerned is just about perfect the GUI is just about what i like, tho a 2 window file manager built in would be helpful like the one i hve for the amiga but hey! i can always just open 2 directory windows :) I just wish it was more stable.X{ looks absoulutely awful before its cusomised and the classic look restored but the search tool is a step backwards

Carried out an experiment on a p120 with 128mb ram

copied all setup filed tpo the hrd drive 13t then ran setup for some versions of windows time to boot to a usable desktop from typing the setup commnd are as foollows:

95b takes approx 25 minutes to boot to desktop (without instlling extraa drivers)
    3.1 takes about a minute to set up
    3.0 takes bout 10 seconds to set up and boot to desktop

Woof
  • i really dont like old windows, but i do have fond memories of 3.1
  • I have fond memories of Windows 3.0... we had that on our home machine when I was really small. I really liked the default teal colour scheme so when we upgraded tp 3.1 I changed the colours to match 3.0 :wink:
  • lol, the thing i remeber the most was that the program folders were on the desktop
  • I chose WfW 3.11. All the good stuff from 3.1/3.11 with integrated networking.
    I still have the original disks!

same here!
  • 3.0 does have a beautiful start screen as does NT 4.0. My favorite classic Windows is WFW 3.11, as it has intergrated networking.

the nt 4.0 startscreen (the one in back of the logon dialog) is some of the best image work ms has done!
  • WFW 3.11

All the greats of Windows 3.1x AND Integrated network support!

THough I prefer NT 3.51 with SP5.
  • Yeeha!

winnt256.gif[/img]
  • NT 3.51 is bitchen for Classic. NT4 is just the best of them all, but the begining of a new time period for Windows NT.
  • rubenerd wrote:
    Yeeha!

winnt256.gif

OMG it includes m-$ ie....wow lets all get it.....NOT

:2gunfire: DIE IE DIE internet-explorer-small.jpg
  • Much much better :evil:
  • O YEA!!!

!!!MOZILLA FIREFOX RULEZ M$S
  • hey Q, what exactly happened when you COMPLETELY removed IE?
  • Weird things happened (in 2000P). Scheduled tasks (In the control panel) became a folder with 3 boxes for a name (In the start menu), but not named when opened normally. Add/Remove programs crashed MSHTA.EXE, and logging into a router with Windows Explorer crashed EXPLORER.EXE. That'll all I remember.

-Q
  • Damned microsoft, bet they did that on purpose :roll:
  • Have to think about it, they built it with IE, its not like they built the OS and added IE to it.