Looking for Windows NT Workstation 4.0

edited August 2004 in Software
(Sorry, I looked over some of the old threads which had a similar theme, but the download links didn't work and I wasn't sure if anyone would check under those old threads anyway.)

This is my first post in awhile; I used to be a member on one of the old boards run by WinVision and you may remember me from there if you've been on these boards long enough.

I am looking for a copy of Windows NT Workstation 4.0 to replace an old CD copy I lost. I gave someone my computer to service; he replaced the CD-ROM drive but unfortunately I lost my copy of NT 4.0, which must have been inside.

Another problem is, I have noticed one of the main methods of file transfers is through AOL Instant Messenger. I signed up for it (my name is "vanderveen88") and installed it but I may not be able to figure out how to accept files.

Hopefully if someone has it and is willing to help me, we can work something out. Thanks very much in advance.

Comments

• Contact me on AIM

I can RAR up the i386 folder
  • Hey, IBMWarp, don't be so quick... Maube joelvanderveen is using Dial Up or ISDN... That will be not good for him/... everything can be...
  • Thanks Warpster... unfortunately, the download stalled before it was finished, but I found another place where I could get what I needed. (Well, it wasn't exactly NT 4.0, but it was a "reasonable alternative".)
  • Sorry that our downloads are down, we had a minor issue. Good that you found it elsewhere though.

-Q
  • Thanks Warpster... unfortunately, the download stalled before it was finished, but I found another place where I could get what I needed. (Well, it wasn't exactly NT 4.0, but it was a "reasonable alternative".)

I think it all the torrents I was downloading. I went on one of my 'torrent sprees' where I download 500 torrents and watch my connection be drowned out by Shareaza

what might this reasonable alternitive be?
  • TopherNET wrote:
    Thanks Warpster... unfortunately, the download stalled before it was finished, but I found another place where I could get what I needed. (Well, it wasn't exactly NT 4.0, but it was a "reasonable alternative".)

what might this reasonable alternitive be?

I'm curious to know that as well...

I remember you tho Joel
  • Hey Jim!

The reasonable alternative was Windows 2000 (and I found out, once I started setup, that my particular copy is the "Advanced Server" edition... lol). I found it floating around on the Internet and figured I'd give it a try, partly because I've rarely used it before and thought I should familiarize myself with it.

It seems to be missing a few files (nothing serious, I guess) and I'm having trouble with the setup because I'm installing it over RH Linux 6.2 (problems with the Master Boot Record) but I should be able to figure out what to do soon enough.
  • "Floating around the internet"?

Where's it floating? What site?
  • I found a site that searches for files on FTP servers (http://www.filesearch.ru/) and decided to try looking for "winnt.exe". One of the first results was from an FTP server based somewhere in Russia and it happened to have a copy of Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The url for that particular folder is as follows:

ftp://ftp.snpa.ru/software/w2k

However, now that I've downloaded it and tried to install it, I'm having some problems. Maybe someone here knows what the trick is, because I've gone through the install procedure 3 times and still can't get it to boot. The hard drive formerly had Red Hat Linux 6.2 installed on it and I'm thinking something is wrong with the Master Boot Sector because everytime the installation completes, it will reboot, show the Windows 2000 startup screen for about 2 seconds, and then give an error message titled "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
  • Use the recovery console on the CD and run fixmbr.

-Q
  • Thanks for the tip, Q, but it doesn't seem to have done the trick. I received the same error message as before. Do I have to run set-up again after I've overwritten the boot record?
  • Try wiping the drive (deparitioning it) and then running setup again.

-Q
  • By departitioning it you are erasing the file system for RedHat Linux..now when Windows XP will install, it'll format and convert the partition during setup for you.
  • Um, 'convert' ?

-Q
  • just run a repair install
  • You'd have to fix Red Hat someway but you could
    put in a dos floppy and write fdisk /mbr
    That fixed mine everytime I had Linux mess up
    my boot record.
    Thump
  • Q wrote:
    Um, 'convert' ?

-Q

Well if he dont delete the parttition then it will but if he does then XP will automatically do it for him when he selects "Unpartitioned Space" and it will format it too.
  • Russian FTP's are usually full of warez. But all of them are temporary, one day they exist, the other they don't. I cannot access ftp://ftp.snpa.ru/software/w2k now!
  • However, now that I've downloaded it and tried to install it, I'm having some problems. Maybe someone here knows what the trick is, because I've gone through the install procedure 3 times and still can't get it to boot. The hard drive formerly had Red Hat Linux 6.2 installed on it and I'm thinking something is wrong with the Master Boot Sector because everytime the installation completes, it will reboot, show the Windows 2000 startup screen for about 2 seconds, and then give an error message titled "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE". If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
    It seems that you are installing this on logical partition. Try to install it on primary, if so. And,also, maybe your HDD has crashed, scan it for bad-blocks.
  • Slash you are right bout Russian FTPs...they do got a good rep of not lasting long. You gotta get commercial software while you can because you never know when you could get it again. That was always my philosophy when I started collecting abandonware in late december 01.