SSH Keys

QQ
edited April 2004 in Software
When I connect to my computer, I get informed that the host key isn't cached. OK, I then says that it's host key is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and that I should compare this with the computers.

1 question: How to I set the SSH server to tell me what key it has so I can check the 2?

-Q

Comments

• Are you running SSH server on Linux or Windows?

Heres the windows setup guide. The linux guide isn't any diffrent besides the directory setup.

1. Open a command prompt and change to the installation directory (Program Files\OpenSSH is the default).

2. CD into the bin directory.

3. Use mkgroup to create a group permissions file. For local groups, use the "-l" switch. For domain groups, use the "-d" switch.
    For both domain and local, it is best to run the command twice (remember to use >>, not >). If you use both, make sure to edit the file to remove any duplicate entires.

mkgroup -l >> ..\etc\group (local groups)
    mkgroup -d >> ..\etc\group (domain groups)

4. Use mkpasswd to add authorized users into the passwd file. For local users, use the "-l" switch. For domain users, use the "-d" switch.
    For both domain and local, it is best to run the command twice (remember to use >>, not >). If you use both, make sure to edit the file to remove any duplicate entires.

mkpasswd -l [-u <username>] >> ..\etc\passwd (local users)
    mkpasswd -d [-u <username>] >> ..\etc\passwd (domain users)

NOTE: To add users from a domain that is not the primary domain of the machine, add the domain name after the user name.
    NOTE: Ommitting the username switch adds ALL users from the machine or domain, including service accounts and the Guest account.

5. Start the OpenSSH server.

net start opensshd

6. Test the server. Using a seperate machine as the client is best. If you connect but the connection immediately gets dropped, reboot the machine with the server and try connecting again.
  • The thing is ALREADY SET UP.

I need to know how to get it to tell me how to display the keys so I can verify that noones screwing with the connection.

-Q