FishNET and Q's IIS Adventures!

edited June 2004 in Software
OK, so back after Ian got me into the idea of hosting my own site... I was on Personal Web Server 4 with Windows 98 on a 100MHz / 64MB / 3.6GB... The site seemed to disapear every time I rebooted... So every day or so I'd need to rebuild. Finally, Q got me a 200MHz / 192MB that I put a 40GB in and threw on XP... By then I was using "Web Server 4 Everyone" to host... Well, one day, I was on the phone with Q, and said I was going to try IIS... so I install it and reboot... explorer.exe was using 80-100% CPU, and like, 170MB RAM or something like that... and were both going nuts over how craped up my PC suddenly is, because now the start menu actually takes time to open. So I uninstall it all and it works just fine!!!!!

Then eventually I moved to Abyss Web Server cause WinMan said it was good (After I had several bad experiences with Apache)

Anyway, there you have it, the reason me and Q hate IIS so much.

Comments

• good reason, lol
  • No wonder it was crappy - it was a 200mhz! Talk about slow....especially with XP. Your lucky you had 192 MB of RAM to ease the load of Windows XP off the processor...

Yeah Abyss is ass-kicking. It "ownz".
  • Yeah, IIS sucks. Apache all the way. But why'd you use IIS in the first place? :P
    M$ makes OSs and office suites, not Web servers :P
  • IIS does suck. Theres like no way to control it. It's just a service - no console no nothing.
  • YES, its called Service Manager. And IIS is simple.
  • ah really? heh guess i didnt look hard enough...

how do i access it?
  • look in admin tools
  • When I tried it, whenever I started the service I got 'THe service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashon'. So I said screw it.

-Q
  • Heres my story. I started out using Website from deerfeild and it was a bitch to config. Took me 2 weeks to get it up and running. Then I ended up crashing the PC from a damn virus. I then tryed IIS and ofcorse it made the system chug and found out you need atlest 500MHz and 256MB of ram to run it smoothly. Then I discovered Apache, I got it running in less then five minutes. Been a Apache user since. I've tryed other web servers and still find Apache as the best one ever made (woot) (dance)

This is what I think of IIS :puke: :fist:
    :violent1: :buzzsaw: :physassult: :birdman:
  • LOL :evilbat:

you should try it now with your Duron, but the 170MB RAM vs. 2MB. MS wants people with real servers to run IIS (IE: 2GB RAM)
  • My duron runs this forum PERFECT, no problems ever, theres NO way im gonna go to the BAD webserver! LOL!!!! I tried apache again the other day but got too confused.. but NO to IIS!

Ive got it!

Just say no to IIS!
  • Did you try my Quick Apache script? I redid most of it and it downloads and automaicly installs most of the stuff (PERL, PHP an phpMyAdmin). Just have to install Apache Manualy but my readme file tells how on that. Soon i'll update it again so you don't need to install Apache manualy.
  • I'm not even going to bother with other webservers. Abyss is literally 30 secs and you got a webserver going.

Why goto something more complicated that everyone else supposibly uses when you can have something more simplier and that you feel comfortable with?
  • Abyss is like using TCP/IP as your main protocol with file sharing on and with out passwords and what not. Other words is its unsafe and your scripts and also files can be leeched. Yes you can make Abyss to protect a directory on your webserver but it can get broken though. Abyss was made from Apache source code and lots of things were left out and some things were added like the router like config. Abyss doesn't use the same secrety. Its alright if you use it to serv a website and free scripts but its not a good idea for scripts you paid money for.
  • Yeah but theres no way I'm gonna pay for a script.....
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Abyss was made from Apache source code and lots of things were left out and some things were added like the router like config.

Excuse me? I'd like to see your works cites page...

-Q
  • Its true, I read a thing in PC Digest about it.
  • Yea, and I read in Time magazine that Mircosoft didn't make Office 11.

Give me a scan or some definte reference, I've heard alot of 'read it in...'s

And even if it is OK, that's fine. FIsh and I host small time sites, the most we'll eve need is PHP to run a phpBB forum. We don't need mass-ass-ive bloated space hogger just to serve HTML and PHP. AWS is fast and friendly for us.

-Q

PS. I was lying about the Time/Office 11 thing.
  • There is nothing to scan. I get a newslatter via email. The email has been long sence deleted.
  • IYSS. I'll still hold out for definite evidence, or I'll just Email them. <G>

-Q
  • varuvaru wrote:
    Yeah, IIS sucks. Apache all the way. But why'd you use IIS in the first place? :P
    M$ makes OSs and office suites, not Web servers :P

m$ makes everything, ms is kinda like hitler, they want everybody to like them and not anybody else, they want to conquer the software dept. and want to put out everybody else!
  • Yea, today at work my Boss asked me if I could switch all of the servers to Linux instead of using Windows. I told him "Heck yea!" then he said "Well get to work bitch" lmao My boss is funny at times. Next monday i'm going to have fun installing Linux on all of the servers. I think i'll use GENTOO.
  • Aprelium wrote:
    Hello,

> It's been a long time, but 2 questions...
    >
    > Does Abyss come from the Apache sources? If so do the
    > same security holes apply?

No. Abyss' code was written from scratch by us and doesn't come from
    any
    other code. The architecture of both servers is very different and the
    security model is also not the same. Abyss was designed from day 1 with
    security in mind. That's why Abyss is so rock solid: no security
    problem has
    been discovered since 1 year, and the very few that were reported
    before
    were minor problems that were immediate fixed.

:-|

-Q
  • lmao Owned (wrong)
  • =================================================

PC Digest - Newsletter
    November 12, 2002

Abyss Web Server & Apache - By, Tomas Heartford
    It seems that Aprelium Technologies has used source code from Apache 1.3.29 and called it they're own. Most people think they're diffrent but in fact they're the same. The only problem is that Abyss Web Server lacks support for addon modules and has a few security issues. The only great thing about the Abyss Web Server is the router like interface instead of the ASCII text file for configuring the Web Server.

=================================================

Thank god my parents never empty their mailbox.
  • SO then, why isnt any proof of ths on google?
  • Erg?

Then why the [CS] did Aprelium say that? Someones not lying somewhere...

-Q
  • No. Abyss' code was written from scratch by us and doesn't come from
    any
    other code.

Not every line of code is diffrent. Look at most distros of Linux. Most of the makers claim they used their own code but they just added some stuff to the source code and called it they're own. Its all GNU and the LINUX Kernel. Lots of diffrent companys have used some one's code and changed it around a bit and called it their own. Like this board, it's phpBB but not really. Its just the core thats left everything else has been changed.
  • But that doesnt mean that its Apache source turned into something else...