WinNT Daytona

Comments

• Winboy wrote:
    the hells the point on installing it on a 486 if its goona run slow! dam m-$

either cos ppl are n00bs or for the fun of it
  • The point of that is so you can get an ATX 486 board, put it in an Athlon case then sell it as-is for the cost of an Athlon
  • thats just crazy, and there isnt that many ATX 486 boards around
  • So, but there are some.

Hell, use a 300MHz mainboard, you still get to rip the dude off.
  • i know there are. i used to have an old dell 66MHz 486 that was ATX
  • Well, I've installed 32Mb of RAM to my 486, installed Windows 2000, and turned off 80% of services... it's pretty fine... it even can run TankRacer2!
  • I don't have enough simms at a "large" size to get 32 megs, which is what the setup asks for. I think all of my sticks are 4 meg or 2 meg.... I will eventually get a few 8 megs so I can max my 386. I am not sure what my 486 can handle though... in fact I know very little about the 486, I got my pentium 1 a few months after it so it went right into the closet where it sits now.
  • I don't have enough simms at a "large" size to get 32 megs, which is what the setup asks for. I think all of my sticks are 4 meg or 2 meg.... I will eventually get a few 8 megs so I can max my 386. I am not sure what my 486 can handle though... in fact I know very little about the 486, I got my pentium 1 a few months after it so it went right into the closet where it sits now.

i got 64mb in simms in shitstation, and another 64mb in simms sitting in the closet.
  • I got like 256Mb worth of 8MB EDO SIMMs
  • aren't you special.... your loaded up with old ram... now how does that help me? Just makes me jealous!
  • I've got alot, need any?

-Q
  • I've got some 30pin SIMMS but I've lack of 72-pins...
  • I need 72 pins. My 386 has a 16MB limit which means it can take two 8MB sticks. MY 486...I still don't know anything about, I guess I'll take it out now and see how little noise I can make, wake someone up I'm dead.
  • I have a boxfull of 72s, who needs what?

-Q
  • Alright, I lied, I can't get this thing out tonight. I think I need to like clean my computer closet area. I have lots of boxes from this years ebay fest (first times using it...got carried away). I guess I could toss the boxes I don't need then fill the rest with parts to make things look a little more organized and give room for another computer.

I have the monitor I got with my 386 in there. It's an IBM 8512. 640x480, terribly dark at high color settings. I have a much nicer monitor now, but not sure if I should keep this old thing around. What do you think?

Maybe I should make this into a thread...listing what I've got in there and you tell me what I should keep, toss, break then toss, or blow up.
  • as for the ram, what sizes do you have?
  • Alot of SIMMs (All sizes) tin and gold, from 1MB to 16MB.

-Q
  • hrm.... two 8's would be nice, but I need to explore my 486 in about 12 hours when I wake up. Figure out it's chipset, how much it can handle, and how many slots it has. I think it has like 3 72 pin slots and 4 30 pin slots.
  • The 30pin sizes only went up to 4MB so you would only get 16MB with the 30pins and the 72pin only goes up to 16MB so you would only go up to 48MB with the 72pin. Some older 486s will let you use the 30pin and the 72pin slots and some will only let you use one or the other.
  • I have 8 30pins SIMMs, 4Mb each
  • yeah, I'm not sure, but I think mine only lets me use one or the other. After I mow the lawn I guess I'll whip that bad boy out and take a look inside.
  • well I'm stuck... the 486 has at least two SiS chips, so I am guessing it's got an SiS chipset. I can't find any info on it though as they are so old. My mobo is a socket 3 so that gives me more room for upgrading then I thought. I have 4 72 pin slots and that's it. And the entire thing is filled with dust *cough*. I think I need to clean it out with an air pump or something.
  • WoW! That's exactly like my motherboard! Do you have a documentation to it?
  • I have absolutely nothing for it! I got it from school. Does yours have an AMIBIOS? And a longer chip next to it that says AMIKEY?
  • No, mine is Award Modular 4.50.
    My 386 has AMI Bios with AMIKEY.
  • hrm..I see... well the bigger SiS chip has this written on it:
    85C471
    9427 QR
    cmSIS'94
    PED934

and the smaller one says
    85C407
    9430 NV
    PED996

My amibios says 486DX ISA BIOS and from 1993. I have ISA, and one small black port which looks like the larger half of an ISA slot (8bit????) and after 3 of the 7 ISA slots there are brown connectors that look strangely similar to PCI... is that VESA?
  • Oooh...1994... mine is newer: 1995!
    That strange brown connectors are VESA slots. It seems there's no PCI on that Mainboard? On mine there are 4ISA/3PCI
  • alright, now what is that half an ISA one? Is that an 8 bit isa slot built in just to drive someone mad? I guess you don't know anything about the chipset either... I went to their site, but it's too old to be listed.
  • It is 8-bit ISA. It's also called XT-Bus. SOme harddrive controllers and video adapters used that bus long time ago...
  • yeah, my hard drive/floppy drive controller is using a 16 bit isa slot, in fact...everything plugs into an isa slot except for the cpu and memory.